Home

Sunday, March 23, 2014

Steampunk Fun - Books and Events

Along with the books I write as Cornelia Amiri, I also use a pen name, Maeve Alpin, for my Steampunk Romance books.  To Love A London Ghost with a traditional romance heat level and Conquistadors In Outer Space, an erotic romance, are currently available. As if reading and writing Steampunk Romance wasn't fun enough, I get to also attend smashingly brilliant Steampunk events.

Last month, on February 8th,   the Alternate Reality Group of Houston (ARGH), celebrated Jules Verne’s birthday at a local bookstore. The  luscious cakes , one vanilla, one chocolate, were decorated with the image of a French postage stamp honoring Jules Verne and the cover of Around the World in 80 Days.  My favorite Jules’Verne quote is from Around the World in Eighty Days -  “Anything one man can imagine, other men can make real.”




This month we had a Steampunk mini-con at the University of Houston, Twisted Gears

There were great vendors to purchase wares from. I bought a plastic derringer and a gold fan to add to the Steampunk basket I’m giving away at the Romantic Times Book Lover’s Convention in May. The panels were marvelous.

Two highlights for me were: Cane Martial Arts, with an interactive demonstration on how to use a cane for self defense as shown in the Sherlock Holmes movie and the 42nd Airship Battalion’s Make & Take where we transformed toy guns into shiny Steampunk weapons to take home. The Indie Steampunk film, Frankenstein's Monster was shown there as well. I have wanted to see that film for over a year and it just never worked out until Twisted Gears.
Judith B. Shields, the founder of First Step Cinmeatics and the writer and producer of Frankenstein’s Monster shot this film in the Houston-Galveston on a micro budget. It's an impressive film that stays true to the spirit of Mary Shelly's creation. 

It was a fantastic convention and I enjoyed myself fully.

~             ~            ~
Cornelia Amiri, who also writes as Maeve Alpin, is the author of 19 published romance books. She creates stories with kilts, corsets, fantasy and happy endings. Her latest release is Ever So Bonnie A Vampire from Ellora’s Cave. She lives in Houston Texas with her son, granddaughter, and her cat, Severus.

2 comments:

Tina Donahue said...

How fun! Wish I could have gone. Your books are delightful, Cornelia. :)

Cornelia said...

Thank you so much for your comment, Tina. I appreciate it. Both events were so much fun, especially Twisted Gears.