Home

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Scarf and Trees

As promised in my last month's post, here is a picture of the scarf I knitted. My hubby is holding it up. The camera did a much better job capturing the colors than my phone did.


That took the majority of my December to finish. I'm about halfway through the cheap acrylic version. That's more of a free time project, so no rush.

I've also taken up crochet and started a group on FB for authors who do handicrafts: Crafty Authors. We share patterns and current projects for knitting, crocheting and most other handicrafts.

Since my last post, I've learned how to knit the lace stitch and crochet the puff stitch. I plan to do a few projects using both... as soon as I get some more hooks and yarn and some place to store them all. I don't want my desk swallowing them up since I've already lost one hook. I swear I put it down and it disappeared. I'll find it when we move, I'm sure.

And speaking of finding misplaced things... coming this Thursday is my latest title from Changeling Press.

On the Case
(Gaurdian's Tales 2)
by Zenobia Renquist

[Erotic Paranormal Interracial Romance, MF]

Everything changes when the tree hugs back.

Darah took what she thought would be an easy assignment—wake up a tree. Nothing to it, except this tree rouses with a case of morning wood.

Shirish has been asleep for the last few decades and is eager to get reacquainted with the world, starting with Darah. She wants to believe they have a future together but the past has unfinished business with Shirish.

Family secrets long buried threaten to set fire to their budding relationship. Without help, Darah fears their final act of love will be to burn together.

Buy Thursday
Changeling Press


Excerpt

Shirish's vines waved, making her pause. There was no wind. He knew she was there. Were the waving vines a hello or a warning that he would grab her the second she got close enough? Not knowing him well enough to make an educated guess, Darah opted for both. She decided their conversation would have to be held at a distance.
"Morning, Shirish. Guardian sends greetings. I'm not sure if you know her or not. She's a local demigoddess who is very interested in your well-being."
The vines continued waving in an almost beckoning gesture. Nope. Not happening. Darah wasn't falling for it, no matter what her libido wanted.
"I see you're still awake. Can you talk?"
Waving and nothing else.
"I'm not getting any closer than this unless you talk to me."
There was a sighing noise that could almost be mistaken for a word. Darah frowned. Was Shirish trying to talk or were her ears playing tricks on her? "What? I didn't catch that."
The sighing happened again, louder this time but Darah still couldn't make out what Shirish was trying to say. Should she chance getting closer? She would still be out of reach of his vines for the next five or six steps.
Darah took two and said, "One more time. A little louder."
"Please."
It was faint but Darah heard it this time. "Please what? Are you asking me for something?"
The vines waved faster.
She shook her head. "I'm not getting any closer than this. Not after what you did last night. We need to talk first. Set some ground rules and boundaries. I'm not the type to sleep with guys I've just met."
"Please."
"Look, Shirish, I'm willing to help you. That's why Guardian sent me. But I'm not going to --" Darah yelped as something curled around her ankle and instant pleasure bolted up her leg.
Before she could figure out her reaction or try to get free, the something snapped taut, tripping her. She landed on her ass and then squeaked as the vine -- it had to be a vine -- dragged her closer to Shirish. The man wasn't playing fair. Grabbing at the ground to slow herself didn't help.
Shirish pulled her up by her ankle, dangling her a few feet off the ground. It was a good thing she'd opted for a pencil skirt or else she would be flashing her panties. Though the soundness of wearing a skirt at all came into question when a second vine started winding its way down her leg. She'd known she was coming back for another round with the sexed-up tree. Why had she picked a skirt? The pants had been right there but she'd chosen the skirt instead.

Buy Thursday
Changeling Press


--
Zenobia Renquist
Discover Different and Unique Romance
http://about.me/zenobiarenquist

7 comments:

Tina Donahue said...

What a beautiful scarf, Zenobia.

Fascinating story line for On the Case. Can't wait to read. :)

Renee Vincent said...

So pretty Zenobia! I love scarves.

I've been wanting to learn to knit or crochet too. Any advice on which I should pick? Or why someone chooses knitting over crocheting? I don't know the difference except for the number of needles lol

Wishing you all the best!

jean hart stewart said...

Love the originality of this...gotta have more....

Fiona McGier said...

I prefer to crochet, though I learned to do both long ago. I like the look of the stitches better, and it's easier to make the endless supply of afghans that I've been creating for the past few years. I like to work on them when it's cold because we keep our heat seat at about 64, and it's nice to have something warm on your lap. In fact there are afghans all around our living room just for that purpose.

I'm going to check our your crafty-authors site next. Thanks for the tip.

And a tree...with "wood"? I'm still giggling! Great idea!

Fiona McGier said...

I meant, our "heat set" at 64!

Zenobia Renquist said...

Tina - thanks so much. I'm really proud of my first knitting project. I didn't block it so it'll get a lot longer as the hubby wears it.

Renee - I started by watching a few how-to videos on Youtube. There are tons. Once I saw that there wasn't much to knitting, I decided to do that scarf. Both have their pros and cons. One of the major pros of crocheting is the ability to pull stitches without worrying about losing any and which way they are facing (something you have to be aware of in knitting). But one of the major pros of knitting is not having to keep constant count of stitches. Another pro of crocheting (that I've found) is that the projects take shape a whole lot faster. I say do what I did and pick up a pair of needles and a crochet hook and see which one feels right for you. I'm so all over the place that I can bounce back and forth.

Jean - Thanks. I absolutely had to do another tentacle story. They are so addictive. :P

Fiona - I think I'll like crochet more once I learn to do more intricate stuff. I know that sounds weird. Most people want to do simple things, but I live to make things complicated for myself. I'm forcing myself to take baby steps. First some small projects and then jump into a lace gown. :) And I totally agree about having something warm in your lap. It kind of backfired for me, being in Hawaii. That wool got really hot. But that just means I know the scarf will be effective when the hubby and I get back to the colder climes.

And yes, I couldn't help the pun. It was there. I just went with it. The whole blurb is full of puns and word play. It was too easy.

Renee Vincent said...

Thanks!!! I will do that!