Home

Friday, February 7, 2014

Happy Birthday to me...earlier!


Happy Birthday to me!  Okay, its actually on the 10th but something magical happens around my birthday.  Spring Training starts for baseball.  Pitchers and catchers report on February 16th and the whole squad comes to training camp on the 19th.  Woot!  Most people know that I worked for the Dallas Stars Hockey Club back in the day when they won the Stanley Cup (1999) and then lost it the next year to the New Jersey Devils.  But honestly, my favorite sport in the world is baseball.  What used to be a pure game is now tainted with players like Alex Rodriguez, Roger Clemons and the like with all the steroid use.  

What happened to players like Nolan Ryan, Michael Young (cries - he just retired) and Griffey, Jr. that went out there day in and day out and just played the game like they truly still loved like they were 10 year olds on sandlot somewhere?  It wasn't about the money but the love of the game.  Every February I'm filled with hope and wonder that my beloved Texas Rangers will make the playoffs and for a few years they did and I went crazy.  The Rangers had bested the New York Yankees (the evil Empire) and played in a World Series.  Then it went south.  Trades that I'm still trying to understand happened, players retired and then with my complete distaste for Alex Rodriguez...I actually stopped watching the game all together.  I'd rather watch my son play and pray that there were no "daisy pickers" in outfield.  With Alex's ban this year during the season, I can't wait to watch again.

Of course, my husband is still crying that his beloved Houston Astros are playing American League style baseball.  Me, I'm excited because we get to play them more than once a year.  I like the interstate rivalry plus, on game day we are definitely a house divided.  I'm just hoping that Alex does the honorable thing and shut up.  Sit out a year and quit your whining.  I don't care if he used or not but since he has never denied it, I'm beginning to wonder...

So my birthday present to myself is to watch more Spring Training games and try to keep up with our son's games as well.  Since I'm the official score keeper for the team and keeper of the stats...you might not see me until June.  LOL!

courtesy of the Texas Rangers Baseball Club






4 comments:

Tina Donahue said...

Happy early Birthday. :)

Harlie Reader said...

Thanks Tina! Only a couple of more days.

Harlie

jean hart stewart said...

Cute blog....Happy birthday, I'm a February girl too...

Fiona McGier said...

I'm not a sports fan, but my husband and sons are. Two of the boys are rabid football fans, but for different teams. One lives in Michigan near Detroit, but roots for the Bears...the other lives here in the Chicagoland area, but roots for the Packers! Go figure.

Husband was raised to be a Cubs fan, but says that the year his Dad passed on, shortly before he did, there was actually a glimmer of hope they might make the World Series. His Dad's eyes twinkled in delight...only to have his hopes dashed quickly by their uncanny ability to "seize defeat from the jaws of victory!" Husband says his Dad was so sad, commenting that he couldn't "wait for next year", because he knew he wasn't going to be around for the next year. That's when my husband's loyalty left him. Now he doesn't watch baseball anymore, unless we go to a minor league game, where the games are played by young men who still play with the excitement and enthusiasm of kids your son's age.

Enjoy your family, Harlie! A good writer mines everything experienced in life. Which means you have to turn off the laptop sometimes and actually live real life.