Home

Friday, January 24, 2014

In Command of An Empire: Self Publishing by Kayelle Allen

For several years, I've wanted to write a series about five young men who were members of the Thieves' Guild. They had been sponsored by the Harbinger, the former head of the guild, known now as Luc Saint-Cyr. (Surrender Love, Tales of the Chosen trilogy, and other books). However, my current publisher did not want more than three books. Rather than decide who to leave out, or who to lump into another character's story, I decided to wait out the contract. It's finally expired, and I the entire Tarthian Empire series will be out of regular print by the end of the summer.

Tales of the Chosen
In Jan, I released the Tales of the Chosen trilogy. I get Surrender Love back in Feb, and At the Mercy of Her Pleasure in March. For Women Only comes back in June. The only book not returning to me is Forbid My Heart, which is Luc and Rah's short story. However, I have the rights to the other stories and can publish what I want from my worlds, on my own. I am in command of the empire.
Pietas

Other books I plan to write tell the story of half a million immortal warriors who were isolated on the planet Sempervia. Thousands of years later, under the leadership of Pietas, 101 were then Terran Crescent and escape. There is a group of immortals who fled the Crescent who have not joined him, but have banded together. They are called the Risen, and they have a group of followers (like the Chosen) called the Light.
exiled from there. Since then, Pietas has gathered about 800+ of those who had managed to
flee the

In addition, a group of immortals from Sempervia watch over Pietas to keep him from carrying out his plan of destroying humanity. They are the Reborn, and their followers are the Elite. One of my new series will feature the original immortals who were never captured and never fled -- they disguised themselves as mortals and remained among humans. Their followers want to bring them back to power, and are called the Ch'thon (a bastardized version of the word chthonian, who were creatures of the underworld). The new book I'm working on (hopefully out next year) is Rings of the Ch'thon. 

So while it feels great to be in control of the empire, there is a lot of work left to do. I'd better go get busy!


4 comments:

jean hart stewart said...

Your worlds sound fascinating...isn't imagination a wonderful thing/

Fiona McGier said...

While I envy you having total control over the books, I don't know if I could devote that kind of time to it. Do you write full-time? And treat promoting as a second job? Because even with a part-time job, I'm always running out of hours in my day.

I wish you all kinds of good luck with your new freedom!

Tina Donahue said...

I admire you for self-publishing. It does take a LOT of work. I feel like most of my time is eaten up with promo. Lord, I wish I could afford to hire a secretary.

Tina Donahue said...

I admire you for self-publishing. It does take a LOT of work. I feel like most of my time is eaten up with promo. Lord, I wish I could afford to hire a secretary.