Home

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Happy New Year 2014


Happy New Year!

I hope you aren’t too partied out form last night. Have a bit of the hair of the dog that bit you. It is time for new beginnings and a fresh start.  

Civilizations have been celebrating a “new year” since Babylonians partied down on the first new moon following the vernal equinox some 4,000 years ago. Whether in celebration of religion, agriculture or an astronomical event, people have celebrated the wonder of a new year since ancient times.

January 1, became part of the “new year” family when Cesar decided to honor January’s namesake, Janus. Janus was the Roman god of beginnings and transitions. It is said that his two faces allowed him to see the past and future simultaneously. This “new year” date fell out of favor in Europe until Pope Gregory XVII brought back January 1 as New Year’s Day in 1582. I’m not sure he envisioned all the things you all probably did last night though, you naughty ladies and gents.

My question for you this fine morning relates to New Year’s and romance novels. There is a fine tradition of Christmas, Hanukkah, and Valentine themed romance novels out there. Where are the New Year’s Romances? Why aren’t publishers having calls for submissions for a New Year’s themed book? In my limited research on the subject I’ve found maybe three romantic, New Year’s themed books and one was about a New Year’s baby. Is the holiday not sexy enough? Has it been tried before and readers threw dirty streamers and bottles of champagne at the idea?

I mean, I would read a New Year’s romance – if it were good. What about you? Do you know any New Year’s romantic titles you wouldn’t mind sharing in the comments section? I know they have to be out there. Please share and I hope you have a lovely New Year’s Day.

Stormie

http://www.stormiekent.com

5 comments:

Fran Lee said...

Happy New Year! Hope your holidays were joyful.

Susana Ellis said...

I think New Year's books are lumped with "Holiday" ones. My story, A Twelfth Night Tale, takes place during the twelve days of Christmas and ends (happily, of course) on Twelfth Night, which is January 5th.

Now if you are looking for New Year's resolutions and all that, no, you won't find that in my story. But you will find lots of traditional Christmas traditions from the Regency era.

My friend Selene Grace Silver wrote a story called "Her New Year's Knight." Check it out!

Tina Donahue said...

Happy New Year, Stormie!! :)

You're right. There aren't any (that I know of) New Year's romances out there.

There should be. What a great time to make resolutions to find love, rekindle love, etc.

jean hart stewart said...

Interesting thought. Lots of other holidays, for sure. I'll have to put the idea in my subconscious.....

Stormie Kent said...

Tina and Fran: Thanks and same to you!
Susana: I'll take a look at these new Year's suggestions.
Jean: Me too :-)