Home

Thursday, January 2, 2014

Another Year in the Books

Good morning to all. Hope the holidays were good and now it’s time for things to get back to normal. Can you believe another year has gone by the wayside? Didn’t it seem we were welcoming 2013 just yesterday? The year flew by for a lot of people including me who didn’t really submit a lot this year. Instead, I self pubbed shorts and wrote a couple of novels including my NaNo novel last month that will be released in February.

If you read my post for the goals of 2013, you saw 500k for the year, 10 acceptances, and honing my craft. 500k, done! I got 501k plus. Honing my craft? Yep, I did but as you know authors never stop learning so that continues. The 10 contracts I fell very short on, mostly because I was going through a transition. Looking back at my first two years, I wrote a lot of shorts and novellas but now, except for my short story series, The Wretched under BL, I’m writing a lot more novel length works. I just submitted a book for Rawiya called Something About Jayden which ended up being 57k and my NaNo novel, I Love It Rough is over 56k. As you know, novels take a lot more time to write and edit. There’s a chance they become longer or shorter when your editor tightens things up and when this happens, less stories get written. And since I don’t do multiple projects at once, the other muses have to wait for each other to finish.

Ugh, that puts a little bit of a damper on things but hey, you can’t rush the creativity. Books turn out so much better when you spend a lot more time on them. *winks* 

So, what are the goals for this year? I set the writing goal back down to 325k. I came up with 25k for 11 months leaving 50k for November. My 10 subs are back in order for 2014, breaking down like this; 5 for Michael, 3 for Rawiya, 2 for BL. Another goal is working on stories that need revisions whether they haven’t seen the light of day or books now out of contract. I actually have a couple being handed back to me this year. I look forward to giving some of those attention and of course, to continue learning all I can. I took a writing class for two months with my uncle who is also a writer. It was great to sit with other people and talk about writing, plotting, etc. and it was very helpful.


Lastly, I’m actually going to be writing under a fourth pseudonym. Crazy I know but, I have some hetero stories for women in my age group that need to be written. My fourth name, Veronica Bagby should be writing stories very soon. These ideas didn’t really fit BL or Rawiya and certainly didn’t fit Michael so I had to have another name to jot these ideas on paper. Look for her first release in late summer.


So that’s it! It was a great year but I plan on 2014 being even better. Chime in authors, what goals have you set for yourselves? Leave your thoughts. 


video


Author Sharita Lira: In one word, crazy. Just crazy enough to have 3 different muses running around in her head, driving her to sheer exhaustion with new plot bunnies and complex characters.

This happily married mother of two beautiful children loves music, computers, reading, and still enjoys reading and writing fanfiction. She’s a proud member of the Erotica Readers & Writers Association, as well as an advocate for rights of LGBT citizens.  She’s also a contributor to the heavy metal ezine Fourteeng.net.

For more information, please visit http://www.thelitriad.com as well as her Facebook fanpage, The Literary Triad.


The Literary Triad - http://www.thelitriad.com/#!

Michael Mandrake – http://tabooindeed.blogspot.com







4 comments:

Tina Donahue said...

Wow, you accomplished a lot! Congrats! Four pen names - amazing. You hit most of your goals - you should be very proud. :)

My only goal is what it always is - to write every single day - except for Christmas.

Definitely met it in 2013 as I even wrote on Christmas. Edits for one of my editors. :)

Lizzie said...

Sounds like you have a great year planned! Understand the various names since I have started down that path too.

Good luck with all your projects!

Fiona McGier said...

I love that quote by F. Scott! He was a bit loony, though not as bad as Zelda. But he's right in that authors have "voices" in their heads all of the time, and the only way I've found to "shut them up" is to write their stories. Then they are quiet...but others soon start talking telling me their stories. My head is a very crowded place, but I like it that way. Obviously, so do you.

Good luck with meeting your goals this year.

Stormie Kent said...

Wow, you were really on point this year.
My only goal is to write. The second half of 2013 was a long dry season for me.