Home

Saturday, December 7, 2013

Starting Over isn't a bad thing, is it?

Is this starting over or maybe something better?



As most know, I’m also known as Harlie Williams, author.  I’ve been struggling for the past year with trying to keep up with the blog.  When my debut came out December 26, 2012, it bombed.  It still hasn’t sold 100 units and that’s pretty sad.  This post is NOT to throw a pity party for me but to hopefully explain the changes that Harlie’s Books will go through starting January, 2014.

Here we go:

1.      All author review requests will be handled by Manic Readers.  This is a more efficient way for me to be able to keep up.  Plus, it’s a whole lot easier on the reviewers.

2.      Harlie’s Books will take into consideration personal requests.  You know WHO you are, so no worries.  J

3.      Harlie’s Books will still do blog tours but will feature more guest posts and interviews.  I feel as if readers would like to actually get to know the authors that they are reading.  Call me crazy…

4.      Effective immediately, Harlie, herself, will only review maybe two books a week.  And that’s going to be a stretch.  Harlie has other commitments now that keep her busy beside the blog.

5.      If you are a publisher, most of this post will NOT affect you at all.  Harlie will still work with you individually.

6.      The Harlequin Spotlight on Thursday will change to the Category Spotlight.  Harlie reads lots of Entangled category and she wants to feature Entangled on Thursday, too.

7.      We will also have ads for sale.  We have them now but our effort to promote this is terrible.

8.      Please like our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/HarliesBookBlog.  We will do giveaways and such there.  Also, please feel free to post your links, too.

9.      As you can see, I’ve changed the look of the blog, too.  I’m going for a more “softer” feel that will reflect the re-branding of Harlie’s Books. 

10.  Regarding the re-branding of the blog, Harlie’s Books will no longer review erotica, BDSM, kink or ménage.  I have looked at my site stats and analyzed what the readers like and what keeps them coming back for more.  Most of what they like is 3 flames or less.  The occasional 4 flame but they don’t like the kink, BDSM or ménage.  Plus, they want a happy ending and no cliffhangers.  HB will continue to feature all kinds of romance whether in a promo post/interview but the reviewing of these books…no. 

11.  I’ve always had a policy of no YA/NA on the blog but I will consider some of it on the blog.  Pink is writing a book so she doesn’t have time for her blog right now.  J


I realize that this is a lot to digest for you.  And I'm sure that my announcement will not be popular and make some authors mad at me.  I started this blog for me and for almost 2 years, I drank the Kool-Aid and wanted to be the best Super Blogger out there.  Guess what?  I'm not and I never will be Super Blogger.  I'm okay with that.  Harlie isn’t going away but she needs a break.  She almost had a breakdown, twice in 2013 and she almost quit out right.  She overextended herself and has vowed not to ever do that again.  She still has anxiety attacks at times but blogging/reviewing should be fun and it hasn’t been too much fun for her in a while.  She hopes that changing things around will help.


Plus, don’t you want to read what she has going on?  She has stuff coming soon.  



10 comments:

Harlie Reader said...

I want to thank everyone that reads my post today. It was a hard decision in some ways but its necessary. My health is more important. Anxiety and diabetes are not good together.

Harlie

Molly Daniels said...

You have to do what's best FOR YOU, sweetheart! Kudos for standing up for yourself:)

Kenzie is disappointed, but she'll get over herself, lol!

Request: Post your blog link on FB every day? I read more blogs that way.

Krystal Shannan said...

You will be great! Don't worry about changing. Change is good and you have to do what is right for you! HUGS

Nicole Morgan said...

Good luck, sweetie! Starting over or rebranding is never a bad thing. You should always do what works best for YOU. Nic will always love ya! ;)

Harlie Reader said...

Kenzie is always welcome. Read #2 again. :) Its something that I had to do and in the end, it will be better.

And yes, I will post my links every day.

Thanks Krystal...I've talked about this for awhile and I'm finally doing it. Change is good and honestly, I don't like change. Never have...

Harlie

Fiona McGier said...

You know how many units you've sold of your book? I have NO idea how many I've sold of any of my many books over the last 5 years! I think if I did know, I'd get so depressed I'd jump off a cliff...oh wait, there's no cliffs around in the Midwest here. Anyway, you get the idea. Sometimes a little bit of knowledge is too much. I just keep letting the stories flow out of me, and as long as publishers like them, I keep promoting them.

I do miss the motorcycle gal riding her Harley on your revamped site, but I totally understand your new emphasis. I've judged in categories that have lots of BDSM and menage. I've been able to judge the books on their own merit, but it's not my cuppa.

And as the owner of the blog, you have some rights too! Just because you became so successful quickly and writers were clamoring for you to review their books, doesn't mean you have to comply. Do what feels good for you. How can you listen to the voices in your head telling you stories, if you're too busy stressing over how much you're not getting done, or how you're not enjoying anything anymore?

Hugs and hope for a better balance for you in the new year.

Harlie Reader said...

The blog was totally stressing me out. I can't keep up and I have no help either.

And yes, Fiona, the voices were being silenced because of it.

I drink the Kool-Aid for too long and realized that I can't be Smart Bitches or Under the Covers and write at the same time. Something had to give.

The only reason why I looked at my book stats is because December 26th is my debut's birthday. The peeps that have read it, loved it which is a good thing.

And Fiona...you are always welcome on the blog. ;)

Harlie

Harlie Reader said...

The blog was totally stressing me out. I can't keep up and I have no help either.

And yes, Fiona, the voices were being silenced because of it.

I drink the Kool-Aid for too long and realized that I can't be Smart Bitches or Under the Covers and write at the same time. Something had to give.

The only reason why I looked at my book stats is because December 26th is my debut's birthday. The peeps that have read it, loved it which is a good thing.

And Fiona...you are always welcome on the blog. ;)

Harlie

jean hart stewart said...

Good for you, girl. You gotta do what's right for you..

Nikki said...

Good for you for taking a stand and doing what you need to do. it's nice to be able to do things for others, and blogging is a good way to do that for authors. But there are so many things that can go wrong and change, and take the good out of it. Anxiety is no fun, i have had a few of that myself this year (Not blog related, but they are still no fun) Keep it up, you're doing good and hopefully these changes will help you in the long run. <3