Home

Monday, December 2, 2013

Another NaNoWriMo in the books!

Greetings readers.

Well another November came and went. Unreal. While most people were preparing for Thanksgiving dinner, I was sweating trying to get to the 50k mark b4 turkey day. Why you ask? Well, NaNoWriMo, of course. For those of you who don’t know, Nano is 50k in 30 days. A lot of authors published and not published attempt it. Some make it while others don’t see the finish line. To me, it is great to win, but just to try and manage it when you have a full time job, kids, and or significant others, it becomes more of a challenge.

When doing the Nano many things get ignored. The housework may not get completed, the kids might spend a little more time in front of the TV than usual, or, you do like me and write when the house is asleep or you go to the Starbucks to get away  for peace and quiet. That is what I had to do just to get partially caught up. Last Saturday, I only managed 1500 at the Starbucks with a cup of hot chocolate in hand and only because I had to pick up my son from a chess match. If I didn’t, I would’ve gotten farther, but, I did manage to get almost 9k the rest of the weekend.

Whew! And I almost didn’t make it. As many authors who try know, when you have an EDJ, that can take over your brain. Your muses might not respond to a tired mind or you have anxiety attacks about getting something right when it involves research. That was my issue since this book, I Love It Rough, is a GLBT erotica romance with a serial killer on the loose. I don’t know much about detectives or homicide. I don’t watch Criminal Minds or CSI so I ended up ordering a book to help, looking up things on the net, ask my DH who is slightly smarter than I. *laughs* And when I finally made up my mind to just write, I was able to finish as I wanted on Wednesday the 27th.

Let me rephrase. Get to 50k. The story is almost done and then I’ll go through the process of editing first draft twice, cleaning it up b4 it goes to the betas and the editor for a possible release on February 17th 2014.


For an author as competitive as I, finishing Nano was very important. I knew if I dragged out the 50k until the 30th I’d be in trouble. So I planned to get it done. Others have too and at the website, they even show you the breakdown. 1667 per day. Doesn’t seem like a lot but when those numbers start mounting up and you fall behind, they can be quite daunting.

But the idea is to keep the faith. Go to write ins when you can. I haven’t tried that yet. Join other authors online doing sprints. I did quite a few and these helped and if you don’t finish, don’t worry. At least you tried. I’ve done it four years in a row and won 3 of them. The year I didn’t finish I wasn’t too disappointed. That story is actually done but needs reworking but the key was, I tried and I don’t feel too bad that I didn’t finish.

However, when you do, you do get a sense of accomplishment. It feels great to see that little video, get the cute little pictures to put up on your blog but most importantly as an author, you reached a goal!
So, for those who haven’t tried, maybe next year? It’s an awesome test of wills and as I said, to attempt it is just half the battle. Make a plan, have online buddies if you don’t have time to go to write ins, and find the right time to write when there is less distractions. It helps when your family knows what you’re doing as well. My husband did, and he supported me all the way.


What about any of you? If you attempted the Nano, let me know what did or didn’t work for you. Congrats to all who tried in 2013!

* * * *

Nano 2013 is called I Love it Rough. Tentative Release Date is 2/17/14


The Sequel to I Like Em Pretty


Overall Series Blurb
The N’awlins Exotica/Paranormal series
The city of New Orleans is rich in tradition, diverse, and known for the inspiration it provides. In the “Big Easy” there lies the hunger for the erotic as well as the unknown. The residents here feel that sexual energy and it reveals itself through their various creative activities.
Join the characters as they take a wild ride on the edge, enjoying their town for all it has to offer. There’s a certain magic in the air, an erotic magic that cannot be ignored.

I Like Em Pretty Book Blurb
New Orleans is supposed to be the big easy. One night changes everything for Frankie Choteau. 

New Orleans. A city rich in tradition, diversity, and on the comeback trail from hurricane Katrina. Francois “Frankie” Choteau, a resident of this town, a cop with a hot temper and low tolerance for bs. Kajika Fortier, a transplant from Oklahoma came here looking for a dream and unfortunately it’s turned into a nightmare. On a hot summer night, they meet and cross paths during a very difficult situation. Despite this, the attraction between them is evident and loneliness for both men is a fate worse than death. They’d both like a chance at happiness but will the circumstances and Frankie’s uneasiness prevent their happy ever after?



Read the first chapter here


5 comments:

Tina Donahue said...

Wow - my hat's off to you for even attempting this. That's a lot of words. Some days I go really fast. Others I get stuck on one sentence or word. I do write a set amount each day, but would freak out at that 50,000 mark.

jean hart stewart said...

Good for you! I've never had the nerve to attempt it. I'm afraid I'd write so poorly the editing would be worse then NaNo. congratulations....

S.Lira said...

Tina

Thanks

I made it and it dos take a lot to do it. It's really good when you hit your stride!

S.Lira said...

@Jean

It isn't easy and yeah editing any story esp the Nano is hard but it feels so good to finish it. This will be the first full Nano book I'm releasing. The others need editing but Im glad I did it!

Thanks for the comments

Nicole Noffsinger said...

I have done the NaNoWriMo for four years now and this year I started with one idea and while I loved that idea, it just lost steam because I was too much into another story that just demanded to be told. It wasn't a total start to finish but I made my 50k and hopefully by the end of the month, my publisher will have it and it will get published. I love the NaNo because as an author, it really tests my limits and stamina.