Home

Monday, September 2, 2013

Discussing Stories With the REAL people in your life


Greetings readers and fellow authors. Writers? Do you do that with your best friends or significant other’s? What’s funny about this is, Adam, my hubby as well as my BFF and other friends hear about my story ideas all the time. I don’t mean to, but talking about the plots with someone helps to flesh out all the details. This doesn’t happen until I’ve talked about it with the muses. In this case, it’s Michael Mandrake.



 

And the main muse for this story, Kajika Fortier

Before I wrote I Like Em Pretty, I returned home and discussed the details of the story with Adam, explaining to him the ins and outs of the book. Doing this helped me develop things as I went along. Now mind you, this is a gay story but as you know, Michael focuses on everything but the relationship in most of his stories so, my totally hetero hubby and I could talk about the plot itself. Of course, I won’t give you the details of what we talked about but knowing my husband who is also an avid reader and has an eye for detail, I found this exercise to be very beneficial. While talking to him, I figured out some snags in my plot I knew me and Michael must tie together while writing.

This is because even though I write out a character outline, I still pretty much write by the seat of my pants, allowing the characters to tell me where to go but as I said, when Adam and I talked it out, I discovered some things I wanted to bring out further in the story, other than the few notes I’d already taken. I also noticed when I talk about the plot with someone whether it be a friend, fellow author, or my DH, it gets me more excited. That definitely happened with this one. I couldn't wait to put down word one and do the research. In the end, it turned out wonderfully and I look forward to discussing more with hubby in the future. As for my friends, especially my non-author friends, I find it fun too because they'll tell me right off the bat if it sounds ridiculous or if it's interesting. That helpful feedback is what fuels me and makes the process easier. 

So what about the rest of you? Does it help? Let me know your thoughts!

Overall Series Blurb

The N’awlins Exotica/Paranormal series

The city of New Orleans is rich in tradition, diverse, and known for the inspiration it provides. In the “Big Easy” there lies the hunger for the erotic as well as the unknown. The residents here feel that sexual energy and it reveals itself through their various creative activities.

Join the characters as they take a wild ride on the edge, enjoying their town for all it has to offer. There’s a certain magic in the air, an erotic magic that cannot be ignored.

I Like Em Pretty Book Blurb

New Orleans is supposed to be the big easy. One night changes everything for Frankie Choteau.

New Orleans. A city rich in tradition, diversity, and on the comeback trail from hurricane Katrina. Francois “Frankie” Choteau, a resident of this town, a cop with a hot temper and low tolerance for bs. Kajika Fortier, a transplant from Oklahoma came here looking for a dream and unfortunately it’s turned into a nightmare. On a hot summer night, they meet and cross paths during a very difficult situation. Despite this, the attraction between them is evident and loneliness for both men is a fate worse than death. They’d both like a chance at happiness but will the circumstances and Frankie’s uneasiness prevent their happy ever after?


Read the first chapter here

Author Sharita Lira: In one word, crazy. Just crazy enough to have 3 different muses running around in her head, driving her to sheer exhaustion with new plot bunnies and complex characters.

This happily married mother of two beautiful children loves music, computers, reading, and still enjoys reading and writing fanfiction. She’s a proud member of the Erotica Readers & Writers Association, as well as an advocate for rights of LGBT citizens.  She’s also a contributor to the heavy metal ezine Fourteeng.net.

For more information, please visit http://www.thelitriad.com as well as her Facebook fanpage, The Literary Triad.


The Literary Triad - http://www.thelitriad.com/#!

Michael Mandrake – http://tabooindeed.blogspot.com











5 comments:

Tina Donahue said...

Wow, how lucky you are to have a hubby you can discuss plot with. I think that's awesome.

Love your cover and blurb -may you burn up the net with your sales. :)

jean hart stewart said...

How great to have somebody to discuss your books with. Wish I did. Your book sounds great, much luck with it.

S.Lira said...

@Tina,

Thanks much. Yes hubs helps a lot!

:D

S.Lira said...

@Jean

Thanks so much. Yes he's great for talking things out. He's smarter about some things... lol

Fiona McGier said...

I talk with my husband sometimes, and my kids more often. Husband gets worried when I tell him that I "hear voices" all of the time, and he needs to be quiet so I can listen and type at the same time. I tell him it's not a psychosis, and that all authors say the same thing. But he's an engineer and they don't think like that.