Home

Friday, August 2, 2013

When the Muse Speaks to You

Umid My next muse for Something Like Jayden
Greetings. Sharita Lira here taking about muses.

Authors, do you actually have moments when the muse spoke to you directly? I know I do. A lot of times, it’s through my dreams or it might even occur at the EDJ, while driving, and sometimes even when I’m with family or friends. If it happens, just be careful not to talk to the muse too much while driving.

*smirks*  

And when you're tapped on the shoulder by the muse, do your friends and loved ones think you have screws lose? Well, mine get it but if yours don’t, assure them you’re not too crazy! *laughs*  Truthfully, your friends and family might think you’re nuts when you talk about your characters speaking to you when writing a story. *blinks* And all they do is shake their heads and groan but in actuality, when the muse speaks to you directly, the story comes out better.

In the short time I’ve been writing, I’ve discovered how important it is to have more of a relationship with your main character. Learn what’s most important to him or her. What they like and dislike, what they need, what motivates them, and how that helps them to achieve their ultimate goal.

How do I do this? Well, I figured the best method is to interview the characters before I’ve written the story. I write down personal facts, traits, have a picture, and conduct a conversation with them to get everything down I possibly can about that fictional person.

Interesting right? In a sense, me, the author is talking to a fictional character and learning all I can to make a more complete book. In the beginning, I didn’t feel I did enough. I had all their facts in my head but didn’t really translate that to my readers. And while it also makes for an interesting blog post, meaning the character interview, it helps us as writers to keep the plot moving and cover all the bases in our novels.

Muse David Taylor for Under the Gun and Vertigo
One of my favorite faces to use as a character is actor/model David Taylor. He’s the “being” in Michael’s Vertigo, Camdyn in BL’s Under the Gun, and her gay military book You Don’t Ask We Don’t Tell. Wouldn’t it be great to talk to this man in person? Wow if only he knew some of the things I dream up for him. *laughs*

I have many others; believe me my Menspirations folder is bulging with them. *laughs* But the key isn’t the picture, instead it’s the information me and the muse come up with to make the book more enjoyable for the readers.

Author Sharita Lira: In one word, crazy. Just crazy enough to have 3 different muses running around in her head, driving her to sheer exhaustion with new plot bunnies and complex characters.

This happily married mother of two beautiful children loves music, computers, reading, and still enjoys reading and writing fanfiction. She’s a proud member of the Erotica Readers & Writers Association, as well as an advocate for rights of GLBT citizens.  She’s also a contributor to the heavy metal ezine Fourteeng.net.

For more information, please visit http://www.thelitriad.com as well as her Facebook fanpage, The Literary Triad.


The Literary Triad - http://www.thelitriad.com/#!

Michael Mandrake – http://tabooindeed.blogspot.com










3 comments:

Tina Donahue said...

I know what you mean in this post, Sharita. I can sit in front of the computer and get zip in way of inspiration. But as soon as I'm doing something else (driving, exercising, cooking dinner), the ideas (or muse) pops in my head - bam, bam, bam and I have to stop and write notes on what I see in my mind.

I also have to have a relationship with my main characters. I picture them AFTER the story ends, the lovers doing ordinary things, grocery shopping, going to the movies, etc. :)

jean hart stewart said...

I usually end up conversing with my main characters when I write a new book. Isn't having all these things in your head wonderful?

Fiona McGier said...

I feel like the inside of my head is a very crowded place, because so many characters "live" in there! But I like it that way...I never get lonely! Grin...