Home

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Your Creations Are NEVER a Waste of Time

Definition Creation: Noun

The action or process of bringing something into existence: "job creation".

A thing made or invented, esp. something showing artistic talent.


I believe every human on this planet has done something with their own hands that they’ve created. Whether its write, build, paint, sculpt, or cook, you’ve done it with your own hands, possibly inspired by something or someone else and when you finished, you felt proud about what you accomplished.

Think about when you were a kid in class. Your teacher asked you to draw a picture of your family, your house, or just draw whatever came to your head. Regardless of the lines not being straight, the colors being off, or many times like when I was in class drawing, things didn’t quite look like they should have, your teacher told you great job and put it on the board for everyone to see. Surely, you felt a sense of pride that you were able to create something with your own two hands regardless of how imperfect it might’ve been. You did it yourself, so why shouldn’t you be proud?

Recently, I had a conversation with a close friend about some writing she’d done. Now, she’s not a published author, but she’s been writing stories, mostly fan fiction, for years. Several weeks ago, she did a story everyone in our writing group loved and she asked me if it was fit for publication. I told her it was but it might need several changes ahead of time before it was published. I gave her an honest critique, not claiming to know everything about the publishing world, but just what I’d learned from my own editors and experiences with fellow published authors. She was so proud of this story, as she should’ve been because despite the needs to fix things, it was still a great idea. After she agreed with some of my suggestions, she passed this same story on to some other people outside our group.

Fast forward. Unfortunately, the feedback she got from others wasn’t all that positive. I’m not sure who these people were but they gave her some very critical feedback. I don’t know all the details, but in the end it left her disgusted about the story and her writing in general. Sadly, this along with a conversation from someone rather close to her left her broken and she made comments saying she wouldn’t write again. Even more disturbing, she said she’d wasted her time writing stories and wished she’d dedicated her time to something that mattered. OUCH. How do you waste time on something you’ve done? You thought of this on your own. It’s something you did with your own brain, your hands your ideas. You were inspired to create something no one else had done. Regardless of what others thought or said, it’s NEVER a waste of time.

We’ve all had self-conscious moments as authors. When books don’t sell as well or the edits come back with lots of red marks, or the reviews aren’t exactly what we wanted, we’re left feeling a little broken or perhaps a lot depending on our situation. Still, I’d hope as authors, published or not, we wouldn’t feel like anything we did is a waste of time. After all, you, yourself had the thoughts in your head or were moved to create something. Regardless of what that is or whether others like it or not, you should always feel proud of everything you’ve done. In my experience, all the stories I’ve wrote haven’t been perfect. Either too short, editing mistakes, grammar etc. However, I’m proud of every one of them because it’s something I was inspired to do and despite others feelings on what I wrote they can’t take away that joy from me completely because it’s my book with one of my three names on it. *grins* I’m proud of all of them, regardless of how they did in sales or the opinions from others.

No question, a lot of us are our worst critics. We get emotional about our creations and when someone else gives their thoughts, it might make us feel worse. Regardless of that, don’t ever feel like anything you created is a waste of time.

Your inspiration and muse will always take hits but don’t let others take away something you love doing. Anything you’re inspired to create with your own two hands is something you should be proud of. 

Author Sharita Lira: In one word, crazy. Just crazy enough to have 3 different muses running around in her head, driving her to sheer exhaustion with new plot bunnies and complex characters.

This happily married mother of two beautiful children loves music, computers, reading, and still enjoys reading and writing fanfiction. She’s a proud member of the Erotica Readers & Writers Association, as well as an advocate for rights of LGBT citizens.  She’s also a contributor to the heavy metal ezine Fourteeng.net.

For more information, please visit http://www.thelitriad.com as well as her Facebook fanpage, The Literary Triad.


The Literary Triad - http://www.thelitriad.com/#!

Michael Mandrake – http://tabooindeed.blogspot.com








4 comments:

Tina Donahue said...

I feel for your friend. I've never been in a critique group, nor would I ever join one. What I may like/love about a book someone else might hate. Everyone has their own opinions. Doesn't mean that those opinions are gospel. I go with my gut instinct. If what I write moves me, it will move others. Not everyone. No book can do that.

S.Lira said...

Thx for the comment Tina! I agree :D

Fiona McGier said...

I was once so young and naive! I thought that being a published author would allow me to quit one of my minimum wage jobs and use my royalties to help pay my kids' college bills. Ri-ight.

But as you say, we create because it feels good. The day I stop getting contracts from publishers is the day I'll stop writing...maybe not even then. But as long as someone else believes in the stories I write, I keep on trying to have the same faith.

S.Lira said...

@Fiona

Agreed!

I love to write too much. The royalty checks assist in paying the bills which is always good. Someday it will be more but regardless, I continue to write because I love it!

<3 Thx for commenting