Home

Friday, July 12, 2013

Salander, Katniss and Bernie Madoff

You might be wondering how these three names could possibly come together.

They're my summer reading list. A time when I veer wildly away from romance and try something quite different. Let's begin with Salander.


For those of you unfamiliar with Larsson's "Girl" trilogy, you have to read these books. Rarely have I been as  mesmerized by a character as I have been by Lisbeth Salander. She's not beautiful or charming. But by God, that girl kicks major ass. An amazing trilogy. I have the final one The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest. I keep putting off reading it the same as I would if I had the last piece of chocolate in the world in my hands. I don't want it to end. I don't want to say goodbye forever to Salander. I wish Larsson hadn't died so many years before his time. God, what a talent he was.


Currently, I'm reading The Hunger Games. Haven't seen the movie, but I heard so much about it and the book that I just had to give it a try. I'm about half way through. Unfortunately, I'm not enthralled (certainly not as I continue to be with Larsson's work). As I read The Hunger Games, I keep thinking of other books (or films). The beginning of the book reminds me of Orwell's 1984. Oddly enough, while Katniss (the heroine for those of you not in the know) is getting spruced up for the games in which she'll kill or be killed, I kept seeing Judy Garland getting dolled up before meeting the great wizard of Oz. Although the book is told in the first person, which generally pulls me right in, I don't feel any connection to Katniss. Most importantly, I don't feel her fear or her outrage. Damn, if my life was on the line, I doubt I'd be able to twirl around in my pretty dress and giggle. I'd be throwing up. I'd be comatose. To me, there's a curious distance between the reader and what's written - it's more like telling (or reporting), rather than showing. Not enough deep POV for me. Of course, I didn't like Star Wars either (the only one on Planet Earth who didn't). I thought Bladerunner was a far, far better movie.


And that brings me to good old Bernie. What he and his kind did to this country is tantamount to treason (IMO). I can't wait to find out what makes this slimeball tick. I've often read reviews where the reviewer complains about the one dimensional villains. As though the author should have given that individual a bad childhood to explain everything away. Again, IMO, I believe some people are simply evil - they're just born that way. They don't think of anyone but themselves. Psychologists call them sociopaths. Anti-social personalities. I'm always fascinated when I read about criminals like this. And I have to wonder why Nature has seen fit for them to be on this planet. What is their purpose (Nature always  has one)? So what's theirs, other than to make everyone else's life miserable?

Anyway, that's my list. Please share yours. :)

Tina

Tina Donahue
“Heat with Heart”

ILLICIT INTENT (5 FLAMES - MY READING OBSESSION)
ILLICIT DESIRE (4 STARS - ROMANTIC TIMES)
SENSUAL STRANGER (BOOK OF THE YEAR 2010)
DEEP, DARK, DELICIOUS (HOLT MEDALLION AWARD OF MERIT)

Website: http://www.tinadonahue.com/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/tinadonahue
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/tina.donahue.75
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/authortina/my-books/
Amazon author page: https://www.amazon.com/author/tinadonahue

1 comment:

Fiona McGier said...

Now this is really funny, Tina! I just put my blog for the 16th into the system and I wrote about the books I'm bringing on my vacation, since by then I'll be so far up north the nearest wi-fi will be over an hour's drive away, and I'll have to pay for it by the hour! So I won't be answering much e-mail until I get back.

You are reading some current stuff...I'm doing the classics mostly, along with a sci-fi book. When I have time to read (which is rare) I usually pick something NOT in the genre I write in, to avoid any inadvertent copying of ideas or situations.