Home

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Motivation (When You Just Don't FEEL Like It!)

So I had a talk with my critique partner the other day and we both confessed to slacking in the writing dept. Somehow when the kids get the summer off, life gets even crazier for the parents! So I've got getting Josh to Driver's Ed and me starting a new job. LOVE the new job, but it's exhausting. 9 years at a desk does not prepare one for wrestling BIG dogs that - huh - don't, I mean REALLY don't, want a bath...

We've got the fair tomorrow - and the Hunter Hayes concert tomorrow night so my daughter doesn't kill me...

It occurred to me that I haven't worked on Moonwitched all month. I've dabbled in editing, but not writing. It's hard to be creative when you're brain dead. Hey, I was so tired the other night I crawled into the shower with my glasses still on my face! Now THAT's tired!

So, how to get motivated to really STAY writing in all the craziness? I have my work schedule now for the entire month of August. I've determined to do 2 pages a day minimum, and 5 pages on my "off" days. I went out and restocked on my room scents - safer than candles with pets! I have a lock on the door. I also have my CD player & ear buds so I can listen to music and drown out the kids fighting. I swear summer boredom makes them fight about everything!

Was wondering what YOU all do for motivation and time management - juggling w/real life craziness and writing craziness? What do you do when you just don't FEEL like it, and how do you avoid the whole "I'll start tomorrow when I'm less tired, I promise" procrastination?

5 comments:

Susana Ellis said...

I think you have to cut yourself some slack sometimes. You have so many other responsibilities and you're only human, after all! Give yourself a break on the days when you're run ragged, and for the other days…find an accountability partner.

I worked hard in May and the first half of June to meet a deadline, and then I took off on my trip to Scotland, after which I had a week to get ready to go to Atlanta for the RWA Conference. Frankly, I've gotten no writing done since mid-June except blogs and promo stuff! Which makes it hard to get back to routine.

But I'm doing a sort of NANO program for August, so I'll have some accountability partners. I'll be revising a novel and not writing a new one, but I need someone to hold me accountable for writing every day, even if it's only a little bit.

BTW, I just learned last night that the story I wrote in May and June has been accepted for the Christmas traditions series at Ellora's Cave, so I'm feeling pretty hyped right now!

Fiona McGier said...

If I'm too tired to write late at night, when all are if not asleep, then at least occupied with TV/internet in their rooms, then I try to get up earlier than they do and write then. I can't write with music...unfortunately for me, I need quiet. And living with young adult kids and a husband who make noise with their electronics is very loud!

I don't try to hold myself to pages produced per day. Instead when I'm not actively thinking about what I'm doing, ie, driving, laundry, baking, etc, then I "work through" scenes in my head, so when I DO get to sit at the laptop, I know where to start and how the scenes will unfold. It works for me!

Tina Donahue said...

I've definitely been where you are now, Renee. At times, I just don't want to get up in the morning. Trouble is, if I give into that feeling, I'd feel even worse if I didn't write that day. So, I tough it out and generally, after an hour or so, I'm actually back into the story...and relieved that I stuck with it.

Writing is almost like religion to me. I feel so freaking guilty if I don't do it.

jean hart stewart said...

Can't write to music either. I've always sworn by at least five pages a day, but my recent move knocked that out the window. Trying to get back on schedule, but right now it's iffy.

Renee Wildes said...

That is AWESOME news, SUSANA! Major Congrats!

FIONA, that's a good idea to always have stuff percolating - that IS progress, so that means I'm NOT such a slacker, b/c the wheels are always turning!

TINA, you're my idol - I wanna be you when I grow up!

JEAN, you and me need to embrace FIONA's philosophy... :) (moving is a PAIN - takes a while yo find everything and feel like the new place is "home")