Home

Friday, July 19, 2013

Favorite Dragons

I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but I love dragons. LOVE dragons. Really, really love dragons. If dragons really existed, I would be volunteering to be a sacrifice just to meet one. That's how much I love them... except I don't want to die so I'm hoping the dragon I'm sacrificed to would decide to keep me as a pet or something. :P

My dragon love means I probably should have written a dragon book a loooooooooong time ago. It took me a while but I finally, finally got it written and published. Clocking in at #12 on the Bookstrand MF Bestseller List (#1 on the Mainstream 30-Day Bestseller List) is FAVORED DRAGON'S RELEASE by D. Renee Bagby (my alternate name).

Favored Dragon's Release 
(Hidden by Dragons, Book 1)
by D. Renee Bagby


*High Fantasy Romance*
*Dragons*
*MF*

He wants her for his bride to end the dragons’ curse but his love for her is ruining his plans.

In the aftermath of a senseless war that claimed many lives, the gods have punished the dragons for causing the conflict. The next generation will not hatch until Prince Shurik finds a human female willing to put aside generations of animosity to become his bride.

Yolette went to sleep on the side of a mountain, the odd woman out on a couples' camping trip, and awoke in a field outside the home of a dragon. Transported to an unknown world very different from her own, she must depend on Shurik for shelter and guidance.

Shurik didn't anticipate his growing feelings for Yolette making the task of proposing that much harder. Danger looms from those who want the punishment ended and from those who want it to continue until the last dragon is gone. Shurik must decide whether he will save his people or his love and pray to the gods his choice is the right one.

Read Chp1 Online

I've got two more in this series that need to be written, but going back to my dragon love (read - obsession). I will pretty much watch anything with dragons in it. I'm the same way with vampires. I might not like everything I watch but putting dragons (or vampires) in it is a sure fire way to make sure I'll tune in.

So I thought I would dedicate this post to some of my favorite (and some of my "just like") dragon movies. I would like to sidenote at the moment and say I have not started watching Game of Thrones. YET. I plan to. I have the first two seasons on DVD. I just haven't watched it yet. I'm getting there. But that's the reason it's not in this list.

In no particular order...

* How to Train Your Dragon
Okay I just made a liar out of myself. I said these are in no particular order but How to Train Your Dragon has to be my number one all time favorite dragon movie... until How to Train Your Dragon 2 comes out in 2014... maybe. I'll see when it comes out. But I absolutely love everything about this movie. Dreamworks outdid themselves -- action, coming-of-age, underdog, friendship, love, adventure, man vs. nature, man vs. self, man vs. man. This movie has everything and Toothless is soooooo cute. Later I found out the animation team was headed by the guy who worked on Lilo and Stitch and Toothless looks a LOT like Stitch, but I'll give him a pass on that. If you haven't seen this movie, get over the fact that it's animation and WATCH IT.

* Firebreather
This is a TV movie from Cartoon Network based on a comic book by the same name. I never read the comic but the movie was a fun way to pass the time. I liked the concept... more than like because the main character's mom is human and she had a kid with a 50-foot dragon. Kind of reminded me of what I did in my book. Teehee. The plot had a few danglies but I can overlook those.

* Reign of Fire
Sometimes the dragons aren't always good and sometimes I list stuff that isn't animated. Don't get used to it because I'm going right back after this. But Reign of Fire was an interesting concept. We woke them up (pollution and mining and such) and now they are back to reclaim the earth that was once theirs. Humans are no match, but that doesn't mean we're going to give up. The dragons are the main antagonist but this is very much a human condition/nature movie. It's the end of the world but you still have people bouncing off of each other. I just enjoy movies like that.

* Flight of Dragons
This movie made up a large chunk of my childhood. I watched it tons of times. I could say millions and probably wouldn't be exaggerating. I wanted Bryagh. I didn't care if he was evil. I wanted him. He was my favorite character and I hated that he had to die because he was the bad guy... or one of them. The concept that all the magic in the world had to be locked away to preserve it from the encroachment of science was fun for me as a kid and now. It kept the idea alive that magic was still somewhere. It was just a matter of finding it...and the dragons. :)

* Dragonslayer
I watched this movie a lot as a kid. I don't think I really started understanding certain concepts until I got older. You know, it's those things you miss because you don't have the world experience to know what you're seeing. Stuff like that. Magic and dragons and sacrifices and medieval times -- what's not to love?

* Sleeping Beauty
Okay sure the dragon didn't come until the end of the movie but it was there. Plus this is Disney. What's not to love?

* Dragonheart
Sean Connery as a dragon. SOLD! It was a good, sad story but really... Sean Connery as a dragon. Enough said.

* Spirited Away
This is an anime from Studio Ghibli. I pretty much love everything they put out... with the exception of Earthsea. Even the dragon in that couldn't save it. But Spirited Away was fantastically done. A girl ends up in the world of the gods and needs to learn to survive if she wants to save her parents and get home again. She gathers many strange allies along the way, one of whom is a dragon. If you have never watched a Studio Ghibli film, I suggest starting with this one.

* The Neverending Story
Who didn't want a luck dragon after seeing this movie? I know I did. He was too cute.

* He-Man and the Masters of the Universe
Any episode featuring Granymyr is a favorite episode of mine. I loved this show. He-Man was the number one thing I watched as a kid. I didn't care if it was a boys' cartoon, I was watching it and loving every minute. I still watch it off and on now, though I laugh about the heavy-handed way they delivered the morals of certain stories. Plus, dude, you have a sword. Why not use it? :P

So that's my dragon movie/show list. I'm sure I forgot some things and I didn't list off every show that I've seen and enjoyed that had a dragon in it at one time. And before anyone mentions it, I wasn't that fond of Eragon. Like I said, I'll watch it but I might not enjoy it.

Out of all the mythological creatures that exist, dragons will forever be my all time favorite. Some women love and want unicorns. Not me. I'm not a fan of pink either. Give me a dragon any day of the week.

--
Zenobia Renquist
Discover Different and Unique Romance
http://about.me/zenobiarenquist

D. ReneƩ Bagby
Building New Realms of Passion...
http://about.me/dreneebagby

3 comments:

Tina Donahue said...

Congrats on your release, Zenobia. I saw the Sean Connery movie - really enjoyed it.

Fran Lee said...

I LOVE dragons...dragon movies...dragon stories...literally all about dragons. I am on my way over to buy this one!

Fiona McGier said...

How about books? My oldest son was born in the year of the dragon (Chinese new year) and that's supposed to be lucky for boys especially. So I used to go to the library and bring home any books with the word dragon in them.

Some of our favorite series include the Enchanted Forest Chronicles, by Patricia Wrede...4 books. A princess who doesn't want to be one, a dragon who decides to keep her when she volunteers to cook cherries jubilee.

The dragon books by Laurence Yep...full of Chinese dragon-lore, but very interesting. Even as the Mom reading the books, I found the boneless king was a very scary bad-guy!

Love those dragons! My husband has read a couple of dragon-shifter books.

And of course, who doesn't love the Dragon-riders of Pern series by Ann McAffrey? The idea of being "linked" to something as huge and powerful as a dragon is mind-bending to begin with...then to be linked mentally with them as they soar into the sky to have sex, while you get seduced by the other dragon's rider? Wow!