Home

Friday, June 14, 2013

Warning: This cover is deceiving!



Okay, okay, I admit it. Better Off Without Her does not fit the typical romance genre. I knew it when I wrote it. I knew it when I had it edited. I knew it all along. But there are some books that are just different, and there is no way to tag them or set them apart from the norm.
Better Off Without Her is a Western Thriller. That's really what it is.
What makes this book a little strange is the subject matter and the fact that it rests with an Erotic Romance Publisher, Secret Cravings Publishing.
The publisher took it on as a challenge.
It begins with Victor Frank, a man that has been physically tortured all his life. A man that has no chance to fit in anywhere. So Frank is bent on one thing…revenge. It drives him, if motivates him to go on with life, it is what he lives for. He knows nothing of love as he's never been exposed to it. He can't even communicate with the world because the world never communicated with him. He's a man in the wrong place, in the wrong time, with no place to go but down. He's driven by all the wrong things in life, to all the wrong people, for all the wrong reasons. He's crazy and he doesn't even know it. And his only redeeming quality in life is that when he kills, he kills for a justice no one understands.
So Victor Frank lives in a world all his own, leaving a bloody trail along the way.
It isn't surprising when John T, and Wesley team up as ex-Texas Rangers to find Frank. Wesley had been a guard at a prison in Texas and met Frank face to face during his escape. John T  met Frank when Frank killed his mother. Rascal Mills joins the two when his wife is murdered. And then there's Pepper an unusual girl who wants her own kind of revenge on Frank for killing her father.
But who is Victor Frank?  Why won't the law go after him? Why has this man gone for years without capture?
No, Better Off Without Her is not a romance, although it has the element included. It isn't a typical western, although it follows the outline. It is in truth a chilling book of murder, of an injustice. It belongs in another genre, and I wanted to warn you before you read it…

Rita Hestand
hestandrita@aol.com
ritaphestand.com

7 comments:

Tina Donahue said...

Better Off Without Her sounds great, Rita. I'm certain that readers get tired of 'cookie-cutter' plots. You have to write what you feel, what moves you. Hope you burn up the net with your sales!! :)

Redameter said...

Thank Tina. This book took a lot out of me, and I truly got into Frank's head. Problem was when I came out I was a mess of depression. Glad it's over, but I wanted to warn folks that this book is not really a romance. It's a thriller. The only thriller I ever wrote. And it was a lot of hard work. What is your most interesting work in your life? What took the most out of you and enlightened your path. Come tell us.
God Bless
Rita

Tina Donahue said...

I hear you, Rita. I felt the same way after I wrote "In His Arms". The subject matter was dark (sexual slavery) and to this day, I still cry at parts of it. However, I've received more fan mail on it than any of my other books. The story and characters really moved people and for that I'll always be grateful.

jean hart stewart said...

Sounds like a book you had to write and they are always the best. Hope it sells like crazy...

Redameter said...

Wow, sexual slavery huh? That is so interesting. I think as writers we tend to have eventually in our collection, books that are not the norm anywhere and we just have to write it. Sometimes they do very well, other times they are looked over just because of the special content they might have. Or the venue we sell from, but as writers they continue to be special to us.
Believe it or not, Better Off Without Her is violently graphic however, the core of the story is about child abuse. Go figure.

Redameter said...

Wow, sexual slavery huh? That is so interesting. I think as writers we tend to have eventually in our collection, books that are not the norm anywhere and we just have to write it. Sometimes they do very well, other times they are looked over just because of the special content they might have. Or the venue we sell from, but as writers they continue to be special to us.
Believe it or not, Better Off Without Her is violently graphic however, the core of the story is about child abuse. Go figure.

Kelli Scott said...

I love westerns.

I wrote a vampire story that I tend to make a disclaimer that it is a love story, but not a romance. No HEA, so don't cry about it to me, people. I wrote it the way I thought it should be written. That's all we can do.