Home

Friday, June 21, 2013

Sweet N Sexy Soulful Quotes

June is here and although I've hardly spent any time at home because of vacations, writers conferences, and horseback riding trips, I've still somehow managed to find some memorable scenes between the ever-coveted "soulful" hero and his heroine. 

The books I feature are from authors who were not afraid to be soulful, sappy, and/or suggestive when it came to their heroes. So grab a cup of coffee, sit back, and fire up those eReaders so you can add these new releases to your TBR collection. 

I hope you like my sentimental choices for this month. Happy reading!



"You know, I was thinking about it on my way to pick you up at the airport. I think you’re my first girlfriend that I’ve been friends with.”

That word—girlfriend, made for a flash of excitement inside me but I was bewildered by what he’d said. “That’s sweet, but are you sure? You must’ve been friends with a lot of your girlfriends.”

“No. I think you’re the first.” He held my hand, inching the bracelet along with his thumb. “I think it’s because we didn’t jump into bed right away. You know, the weeks we spent talking and getting to know each other before anything became physical, and even then it was just a bit of snogging since you shot me down.” He smiled shyly, not at all like him. “That’s never happened to me before, by the way. I didn’t want to tell you that night.” He continued to toy with the bracelet.

“Aren’t you glad we waited?”

“I was glad when it was over.”

I smiled. “You must’ve been friends with Elise. You were together for so long.”

“Not really. I’m not even sure we liked each other. There was chemistry, we were drawn to each other, but we never had what I already have with you. We never talked for hours on the phone. We never wanted to be alone with each other doing nothing. She never understood my love of music, but you feel the same way. You get it. That’s important to me.”

The fact that he valued the friendship that accompanied our romance made it feel as though he was unfolding everything inside me. He was proceeding slowly, taking great care—like you would with an old letter in hopes of deciphering the black scrawl, praying that it wouldn’t part at the creases. I knew then that I would never reside in the class of his disposable women.

I admired him with a brand new set of feelings when I’d been worried I already had too many. “That’s the nicest thing a man has ever said to me.”

“I’m not just being nice. It’s true.” He smiled, but it faded. “I could’ve saved myself a lot of heartache if I’d had you from the beginning.”
Karen Booth, Bring Me Back

__________________________________________________________


That evening, Jenny was settling down to read a manuscript when the phone rang. She answered on the second ring. “Hello?”

“Hi. It’s me. Patrick.”

“It’s kind of late. Everything okay?” she asked.

“You said I should call if I had a question.”

“Yes. What is it?”

“I had a date this evening.”

“Okay. I’m not sure what to say about that. I hope it went well.”

“It didn’t.” He heaved a sigh. “She’s a nice girl. The niece of Kari’s sitter. She told me something I already knew, but wouldn’t admit.”

“What’s that?”

“She told me there’s a woman somewhere who has my heart.”

Jenny bit her lip, waiting for what would come next.

“We both know who that is. And, so, I have just one question.”

“Y-Yes?”

“Is there still a chance for us?”

It wasn’t the question she expected to hear. When she didn’t answer, Patrick asked, “Jenny, are you there?”

“I…uh…I’m here. I don’t know what to say.”

“Then don’t say anything. Just listen. Life brought us together when we were just kids. And circumstances brought us back together again. Do you really believe it’s an accident we both ended up in Miley’s Cove last year and in Boston now?”

Gavin’s words came roaring back: ‘I don’t believe in coincidence. I like to think all things happen for a purpose.’ “I don’t know what to believe.”

“I know what I believe. You and I are meant to be together. Life brings us together and one or the other—or both of us—screws it up. I don’t want to screw it up again. I want to know if we have a chance.”

“A chance for what?”

“A chance to be happy.”
Linda Rettstatt, Act of Contrition
________________________________________


“Let me take your coat,” Gray said, removing it. He bent down and kissed her neck as he tossed the coat onto his cream-colored leather sectional. Jayne closed her eyes, feeling tingly all over as his hot kisses moved from her neck to her lips. He knew how to kiss, that’s for sure. He ended with a tender nibble on her bottom lip.

When Jayne opened her eyes, he was looking at her with desire.

“You’re beautiful, Jaynie,” he whispered, kissing her again. His hands ran through her hair and she couldn’t help but plant hers on his perfectly sculpted rear end. He could have been an ass double for less endowed actors. Seriously. “Would you like to see my bedroom?”

“Yes,” she said with a grin. “Are you seducing me?”

“Well, I’m not showing you my penchant for interior decorating, that’s for damn sure.” Dimples creased his cheeks and made her fire for him turn into an enormous bonfire blaze. He took her hand, leading her down a hallway and onto his king size mattress.
Holly Gilliatt, Til St. Patrick's Day
_________________________________________


Determined to go through with the faerie magic, Patrick opened his arms to his lady-wife. She walked into his embrace and snuggled against his chest. They hugged, secure in each other’s arms.

“What if we get separated and only I return to the twenty-first century? I couldn’t bear losing you.” Laurie clung to him.

“Ach, lass.” He squeezed her tight. Stepped back. Held her at arm’s length. “Nae matter what happens, I will find you. Even if I must travel through time to a thousand different places, I promise you, I will find you.”
Dawn Marie Hamilton, Just Beyond The Garden Gate


* * *

Renee Vincent is an award-winning author of historical and contemporary romance.






7 comments:

Tina Donahue said...

Wow - you get to take vacations? I envy you. :)

Great quotes as always!

Kelli Scott said...

"I will find you." Awwww...love it.

jean hart stewart said...

Great teasers....Loved them.

Renee Vincent / Gracie Lee Rose said...

Thanks ladies! I'm so glad you liked this months choices!

Amy Jarecki said...

Love the excerpts!

Renee Vincent / Gracie Lee Rose said...

Thanks for visiting, Amy!

linda_rettstatt said...

Thanks so much, Renee.