Home

Thursday, June 13, 2013

I am back in the saddle again...

Rick Mora...Actor/Model
Love those Native American heroes...sigh...

And I have picked up and dusted off one that I have worked on a little at a time for the past three years.  My usual Native American hero is Lakota Sioux, but this one is Apache.  I patterned this hero after a friend of mine who came straight off the reservation with a great big chip on his broad shoulder...and the only thing that took away his anger was a woman.  (No...not me, unfortunately!)

Why do we love NA men in books?  Possibly because they seem to have a better sense of themselves?  Possibly because they are not totally egocentric?  There are a number of reasons, but for me, personally, I find NA heroes to be deeply reflective, internally strong, and externally hot.  (fanning myself here...)

Many years ago, when I was young and rather impressionable, I read a great many romance books about white women being captured and held by Native men...but as I grew up, I realized that playing to that kind of fantasy wasn't for me.  My NA heroes are modern day guys, with modern day problems (and prejudices) of their own.  They learn to find their strengths and surpass their weaknesses.  

So wish me luck in finishing this one, because I want to read it all the way through without stopping to edit. 

Hugs!

Fran Lee

4 comments:

Amber Skyze said...

Please, please, please finish this! I love NA heroes, especially when you write them. :)

Tina Donahue said...

That's wonderful news, Fran! Can't wait till you're finished so we can all enjoy your book. :)

Kelli Scott said...

Love it! Good luck!

jean hart stewart said...

Finish it quickly, girl. I LOVE NA heroes.