Home

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

What Harlie is reading...or not reading at the moment and an announcement


This is a hard post to write today.  As a reviewer I have a certain responsibility to read certain books and review them.  I have authors that I jones for when their releases are announced and sign up for any and all blog tours that are associated with them.  Well, Harlie is taking a much needed breather in the reviewing department.  I haven't read a book for pleasure in over a year.  :(

After the hellish months of March and April on Harlie's Books, I need to step away.  I'm emotional drained, exhausted and I need to clear my mind.  Used to when I need a mind wipe, I could pick a Harlequin Romance (sweet) and it would usually do the trick.  Unfortunately, it didn't.  *sigh*  I have books to read for May that I will review for the blog so no worries to any authors that are reading this today. 

The types of books that I have been reading are dark, twisted, erotic and have left Harlie spent.  I'm trying to get the 5 reviewers that I have now up and running to start reading for me and its been slow.  They are getting there but...  Harlie does have an assistant helping her on the blog and she's is wonderful.  But for me, Harlie, I'm backing away.  I've already have had contact with blog tour operators that depend on me asking me why I'm backing away.  I've been honest with them and they understand my position.  I don't get paid for reviewing books.  Shocker, I know.  LOL!  Money isn't the issue here..my sanity is and a mind dump would great right about now.

I also realize that I will miss some books out there to read and review but that's life.  Harlie's Books doesn't jump on the trend bandwagon and read the supposedly "new It books" that everyone and their mother is talking about.  I've never been one to follow the crowd, be a minion, if you would and that's just part of my personality.  Yes, do I have certain authors that I would fall on a sword for?  You bet and you know who you are but with all the new genres and sub-genres popping up, not so much.

I could blather on about how that certain trilogy ruined, in my opinion, erotic and BDSM books and the true authors that write in those genres but I won't.  There is too much junk books out there now to read and Harlie is too jaded right now to read them.  Give me a character driven story and I'm your girl.  I don't need the fluff, filler crap that some authors are putting in their books.  For example, I reviewed Finding Trust by Natalie Gayle.  Brilliant romantic suspense because she didn't talk over my head.  She treated me with respect in my basic knowledge of how a romantic suspense should be written.  She didn't fill it with how the gun worked, the inner workings of the organization or how the secondary characters fit into the story.  What I got was a great character driven story that just so happened to be a romantic suspense book.

Do I sound jaded, angry or just plain tired?  I'm tired folks and its time for a break...


On to the writer side of me...










Do you love it?  I finally "branded" myself.  Since most of my stories are based in Oklahoma, it just made sense.  Plus, my stories have a more sensual/spicy tone to them so the graphic works for that, too.

So tell me...is Harlie being too jaded at the moment or does she just sound tired?  What are thoughts on the current trends in books that are coming out?


8 comments:

Liberty Ann Ireland said...

She just sounds plain worn out to me. A bit of a break and you should be back cookin' with Crisco! Hugs!

Nikki said...

I love stories that aren't filler. I love it when it just tells a story, not so many details that aren't needed and focus on characters and the plot. :)

Harlie Reader said...

Just checking to make sure that I'm receiving stuff.

Harlie

jean hart stewart said...

Sorry for the burn out and hoped a good rest will do the trick.Life is too short to spend it doing something that's grown distasteful. Relax and regain your joie de vivre.

Maria said...

I totally understand where you are coming from! I don't understand why so many are following after that trilogy - it's really ruining everything!

Fiona McGier said...

Harlie, sweetie, get back to your roots. When you stop enjoying the books you fell in love with so long ago, there's something terribly wrong! You read them as a guilty pleasure, right? Not as a chore to check off the "to do" list.

And not all of us need to be beaten into submission, or whipped, or even have our hair pulled, to enjoy ourselves. Take a break and let the voices in your head work their magic. They'll begin to entertain you with the kinds of stories you like. Then you'll be able to write some, and maybe after a while, you'll even enjoy reading again.

Chillax, darlin! We'll be here waiting for you when you're done catching your breath!

Harlie Reader said...

Thanks ladies.

I finally read a book that cleared my head and it was a good old fashioned Harlequin Blaze. I know, right?

Just the right amount of sex and it wasn't in my face sex either.

Great emotional depth to the characters, too.

Harlie

Tina Donahue said...

Everyone gets burned out. Comes with the biz.