Home

Sunday, May 26, 2013

Love & Basketball...Baseball...Football...


Let's play ball! @Washington Nationals' Patriotic Series this weekend

My name is Koko Brown and I'm a sports addict. 

On any given day, you can find me tuning into a baseball game, tennis tournament, or boxing match. And if it’s a really great day, I’m sitting in a stadium or arena, preferably front row and center. It really doesn't matter as long as they are humans involved, physical contact and plenty of sweat. 

Of course it probably seems like a no brainer that I recently wed my athletic interests with my writing career. There’s a ready-made audience who gobble up popular series featuring hunky quarterbacks, salacious goalies and cocky NASCAR drivers. 

In all honesty, my decision to write a sports romance wasn't that easy.  The reason for my hesitation?

The readership.

Like readers of historical romance, the sports genre is enjoyed by an audience whose sports knowledge usually eclipses the authors. And if you don't do your research, like having a designated hitter on a team in the National League when only the American League has the position or using cleats instead of boots to describe a soccer player’s footwear, there is a 99.5% chance they'll let you in a bad review.

And of course, I had my own hang ups. If I’m reading a sports romance, I want to see the athlete on the field at least once. In my opinion, if there is no on-field action, then why even make your main character an athlete.  You could have simply made him or her a fireman.  To me it’s like making your hero/heroine a werewolf and we never see him/her change. I want the details that make them different from a human.  And I want the same with a character who’s a professional athlete. 

With this in mind, I think I spent just as much time researching the history of both soccer and boxing, watching matches, and understanding the rules of each sport as I did developing the plots for my two sports romances, Player’s Ultimatum and Jezebel And it shows because in Jezebel, the hero's championship title match is the catalyst for the hero's overall motivation and his internal conflict.

What do you think about sports romances?  What do you like or not like about the genre? 

Fast facts: More than 40% of the NFL's and MLB's fan base are women

To learn more about me and my books visit my official website @kokobrown.net!

2 comments:

Tina Donahue said...

Hey, Koko! I haven't read any sports romances. However, I did see Bull Durham and I thought the romance between Susan Sarandon and Kevin Costner was HOT. Loved that movie!! :)

Fiona McGier said...

I don't watch sports. My husband is "meh" about them. Two of my sons are rabid football fans. But I don't watch movies about them or read books either. Not my thing.

My dad was from Scotland and greatly disappointed when he moved here in the 40s and no one watched the World Cup of soccer (he called it football--claimed what Americans play should be called "armpit ball" because the ball spends most of the game under someone's pit, and only 1 guy is allowed to kick.) He taught us that all sports were boring. He forgot to tell us that soccer was the only exception, so years later when soccer was on TV, he was upset that I didn't want to watch it with him.

Yes, if your hero/heroine is going to be involved in a sport, they should be playing it at some point in the book.