Home

Friday, May 10, 2013

Editing Safeword



As I sat down to write this post I was reflecting on putting the final editorial touches several weeks ago on Together in Cyn. This is my first book being published and it has been an amazing experience.
            I’ve learned so much during this process I’ll never be the same. I think I’m going to have to start kicking info out one ear to bring in anymore new stuff through the other side. Talk about a learning curve!!
            The commitment authors make when publishing a story is like a marriage with their editor, in my opinion. You both say vows and finish with I do, sign on the dotted line, and if you’re lucky there’s cake. J
            You know that phrase – the easy part is writing the book? OMG I completely agree with that.
            Once you write and submit an entire book, then send it off to your editor to yea or nay, it’s like sending your child off to school for the first time. It’s scary. When you get edits back and it looks like a crayon box exploded on your book, it can be overwhelming.
            I go through line edits first so I don’t miss any, then tackle the content issues. Setting a goal for when to have things finished really helps me stay on track and not go screaming into the night like a loon. It’s hard for me to pace myself since I want to get them done and back. One step closer to getting it into the readers’ hands is awesome. But we as writers also want to do our best work so taking breaks is conducive to excellent editing.
            At least it is in my case. Just a simple walk around the block to clear my head can work wonders on a scene.
            My editor works hours and hours trying to make my books the most fabulous books they can possibly be.
            I’m sure not going to whine to her about them being tough. Nor am I sticking pins in the voodoo doll she said I could make of her. J
            She sends them to me, and I think it’s amazing what she sees that I NEVER DO! Holes in the story, three-handed lovers, a character’s manly parts went where?!? It’s invaluable to have someone dedicate themselves to something that comes from your heart.
            It’s also super important for us to be gracious about the process. Yes it’s hard when we’re told to cut something we think is awesome, but maybe it’s just not working in the story. I’d much rather have someone tell me upfront as opposed to 1000’s of readers down the road and I smack my forehead. Thinking - doh! It might be difficult to see it from another person’s point of view, but I look at it this way. That is a reader’s POV. What could be more important?
            So what I think we need to do is take a note from any of our favorite BDSM books. Think of editing as sex, and you’re the submissive. Have a safeword in mind for when the edits are too overwhelming. Be gracious and listen with an open mind.
            If a sub can take it – gracefully, with a smile, or at least a silent smirk – so can we.
           


A small book sitting out on a table shouldn’t incite fear in anyone.

But what if that book was your diary and you learned your two best friends, men you have ached for your entire life, have just read every last word? Pages and pages filled with dark fantasies and forbidden dreams so explicit they leave nothing to the imagination. 

And what if those two friends were included in every last one?

This is exactly where Cyn Andrews now finds herself. 

Stuck somewhere between wanting to hate Jared and Chris Kennedy for violating her privacy and just plain wanting to be stuck somewhere between them. She could never choose only one brother, so she’s kept her feelings buried for more than a decade, and a past mistake has kept her silent and alone…until now.

Everything she’s ever wanted may have just been handed to her in the form of an invitation to The Library. Not just a building filled with books, but a members only BDSM club the brothers own and have kept hidden from her for years.
Is it pity or desire that fueled the invitation?

What other secrets have they been keeping from her?

Can she protect her heart and face her biggest fear while discovering the art of submitting to two Doms?

It’d be a sin not to find out…


Unedited Excerpt
            “So, Cyn, why aren’t you fucking anybody?”
            I sucked a mouthful of beer down the wrong pipe, sputtered and coughed my way through it, and nearly knocked over the glass bottle as I got it under control. The beer anyways. After wheezing through another breath I moved my drink farther away. “Where in the hell did that come from?”
            Jared Kennedy, one of my best friends, glanced at my fingers as I worried a heart charm at the bottom of a silver chain. A knowing smirk tilted his lips when he looked back up. “Oh, come on. Nobody creaming your Twinkie at the moment or do you not like sex in general? We want to know. So don’t be shy, just spit it out.”
            The other half of the we he referred to was his fraternal twin Chris, who stood watching us across an empty dance floor and behind their bar thirty feet away. Still anxiously working the pendant back and forth, I turned once more to Jared.
            He leaned back in his chair, arms crossed over his broad chest and an expectant smile pulling at his full lips. The brothers had always done that. Known just the right face to make so I would answer anything. They acted broody or impatient, and I ’d give anything to make them happy. Pathetic—my middle name when it comes to these two.
            “I like it, J. As much as anybody does, I guess. Whether I like it as much as you and Chris, I don’t know. Your appetites have always run on the high side according to the gossipmongers around town.” I squirmed in my seat. I admit it. One of my best friends was asking me if I liked sex and all I could think was…meh. My sex life…well, visualize the Titanic sinking and you get the gist. Most guys don’t appreciate being called another guy’s name—or two guys’ names—when you’re getting off. It’s a real deal breaker apparently.
            “Uh huh. It’s Saturday night, and you’re here, just like last night. Guys hit on you but you turn them down flat. You work at the gym all day and help out here anytime we ask. Love our time together on the weekends, just you and me, and I know you’ve been helping Chris during the week too. CJ’s has gotten damn busy, and we dig the help, but you’ve been restless lately and we’ve both noticed. What gives?”


Website

Email

Book Page

Social Media –

My author page on EC

Book Trailer Video link

8 comments:

Tina Donahue said...

Congrats on your release! Love the title and cover. :)

Jennifer Kacey said...

Thanks Tina!! Super excited and can't wait to hear what people think. Hope they're gentle! :)

jean hart stewart said...

Great title, excerpt and cover. Lots of luck....Jean

Jennifer Kacey said...

Thanks Jean!!

Kelli Scott said...

Pretty, pretty cover!

Jennifer Kacey said...

I love it too Kelli! Every time I look at it I have to sigh. :)

Jennifer Kacey said...

I love it too Kelli! Every time I look at it I have to sigh. :)

Jennifer Kacey said...

I love it too Kelli! Every time I look at it I have to sigh. :)