Home

Monday, April 8, 2013

Writing Series

As a reader I love series. I love being able to revisit the characters I’ve already come to love. I can return to a familiar place. As a writer I love series for all the same reasons. I get to revisit characters I’ve already become so close to, I can see what happens next in their story, because we all know a love story doesn’t end with their happily ever after. And I get the added bonus of discovering more about the characters I’ve already met.

Over the course of the last few months, I’ve started two very different series.
Wandering Off the Path begins my Bound By Fairytale series, which will be a collection of retold fairytales with a bondage element. Unlike a lot of other series, these stories don’t revolve around the same set of characters but instead around a similar setting. The deep dark woods. Though I didn’t set out to turn this story into a series, after I wrote Wandering Off the Path I couldn’t help but come up with other fairytales I wanted to reimagine. Now I have another three books planned in this series, but if more ideas come to me, I’ll be happy to write more.
Reunion Makes Three is the first book in my new Snowedin Fantasies series. This series takes place in or around the same town, Snowedin, VT. A town based off the area of Vermont where I grew up. The series was inspired by my high school reunion, and all the stories that might be going on there. I’ll be revisiting several of the characters and many of the same places in the stories to follow. Unlike my Bound by Fairytales series, I always intended to spend at least a little while in this fictional ski town, but even with a few prepared ideas, Snowedin has definitely grown beyond what I originally planned. The more I explore Snowedin the more stories I find I want to tell. I could certainly see myself spending quite a bit of time in this sexually charged small town.
I’m thinking of trying out a few different kinds of series in the future, if I can ever get out from under the mountain of stories already fighting for time on my laptop. Maybe following one specific couple for several stories or following an entire family for multiple generations, but for right now I’m really excited to spend some more time exploring these two new worlds.
But what do you all think? Do you like series? What kind are your favorites? What would you like to see more of?

4 comments:

Tina Donahue said...

Great post, Willa - can't wait until you get the cover art for these series.

I've just gotten into the series thing myself and never realized how challenging it is to bring readers who come into Book Three or Four up to date with the action. Sort of like trying to summarize The Walking Dead to someone who hasn't seen it from the beginning. :)

jean hart stewart said...

I usually write in series and find I need to get a bible of births, deaths, marriages etc. I can get pretty confusing. Good post.....

Willa Edwards said...

Thanks Tina and Jean.

I totally agree with Tina. I'm writing the last installment of my Naughty Holiday List series now, and its hard to balance how much I'm retelling of the other stories and focusing on the current story.

But I do like to throw in a few little nuggets for the readers that have stuck with the whole series.

Its a delicate balance.

Jean, I just started by own story bible, just to keep everyone in Snowedin straight and who shows up in which book. It can be a lot to keep track of, especially now that I'm coming up with a few story lines that at least are mentioned in multiple books.

Kelly Fitzpatrick said...

I have a series disability or something. I have been unable to write one, but I'm determined...it's just other stories distract me and pull me off course.