Home

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Cowboy Land

Let's get back to basics. Remove all the fluff and stuff shall we? Sometimes I think of the Old West as back to basics, no fru fru, hearty food, wide open skies, wide open spaces. I cut my teeth on cowboy romances, wagon trains west, heroines riding with their hero and I loved every word. I also loved pirate and sailing stories that immersed me in the sultry, tropical breezes - but that's another blog.

Something I've wanted to do for as long as I can remember is go on a cattle drive. It just seems so damn romantic (I'm sure it wasn't really! but I'll live in the fantasy). Sitting around a fire, with a pot of coffee warming on a stone, Cook in his wagon whipping up all sorts of delectable treats. Listening to the cows bawling, the sounds of nature and sleeping under the stars. All of this with cowboys close by...maybe my cowboy, although I don't have one, I would like one :)

What can be a sexy as a man in chaps, checkered soft shirt, hat low over his eyes and strong hands in leather gloves. Part of that fantasy is me with him under the brim of his hat, both of us shadowed in the allure of our chemistry. *needle screeches across the record here*

Well, June 1 I'm heading West. To Laramie, Wyoming, to a ranch where there will be rustic cabins, horses, good home cooking, cowboys, green grasses, horses, creeks, boots, cowboys. Yes, jetting west to the land of remote, wide open spaces.

It's actually an authors retreat where the horse is a main focal point. I've attached the link for you below.. I am so looking forward to this, you have no idea. It will be a wonderfully recharging and insightful experience. I hope to blog daily while I'm there as well.

Here's the link for you to feast your eyes on. Literature and Landscape of the Horse Take a peek. It looks like heaven on earth.

The retreat is being hosted at the Vee Bar Ranch, in Laramie. Totally drool worthy. I'm staying in cabin 1 by the creek. Apparantly the bedroom faces the creek and my window will be open so I can be hushed to sleep by the gurgling waters after a day of riding, sun, reflecting, writing and sharing with the other women on the retreat.

Since I can't share any pics from the websites, I've given you the cover from my cowboy romance Elemental Heat. It's a city girl goes west and meets her cowboy story. And I've included an excerpt for you.

Excerpt - Elemental Heat
Jenna watched him walk to the barbeque. He was all fluid grace. For such a big man he wasn’t awkward at all and she couldn’t wait to see him in the saddle. He’d promised they’d go riding tomorrow. But there was a lot of time between now and then. She watched him flip the steaks and take a sip of wine from his glass, then hold the spatula aloft. The image was ingrained in her mind and she swore she would never forget this moment.
Before she knew what she was doing or could change her mind, Jenna swung her legs off the lounge and stood. Chet turned and watched her approach, the dark dreaminess of his eyes drew her. She needed to taste him, to feel his lips under hers and if he wasn’t going to make the first move then she would.
The blanket slipped down her back and she clutched the edges below her breasts.
He put the spatula down without looking where he placed it and it clattered to the patio stones. She stood before him and wound her arms around his neck, holding the corners of the blanket, wrapping them in the warmth of the wool. Her fingers pressed against his neck and the strength in his muscles made her feel truly feminine.
Almost at eye level, she had to look up only slightly to meet his gaze. All her senses tuned in to him, his essence permeated her and she let it. The long-distance teasing they had done the past few months came to a head and Jenna trembled with desire. She tipped her head back and pulled him to her. The hesitation when their lips were a hairsbreadth apart was exquisite. Energy crackled between them in the moment of anticipation before fulfillment.
Chet’s vigor and arousal radiated from him in pulsing waves. The whisper of air between their bodies vanished when he snaked his arms around her waist and brought her hard against him. Jenna sucked in a breath and a little “oh” popped from between her lips.
“This is where I’ve wanted you all day, woman.”


The quickie sequel to Elemental Heat is Rock-Hard Heat.
Unable to stay away from her sexy cowboy, Jenna flies back to him and the Colorado Rockies. A part of her stayed in the wild and rugged west after she left and she wants to rekindle their passion. And uncover the potential riches hidden in this majestic landscape.
Chet sets out to mine a special place in Jenna’s heart with love and their undeniable chemistry. Their steamy affair has Jenna searching for more than gold in the mountains—she wants Chet’s rock-hard love, anywhere she can get it
.

What is something you've always wanted to do? Wed love to know.



You can find me at:

2 comments:

Tina Donahue said...

OMG, I LOVE your cover! Great excerpt too, Cristal! :)

Renee Vincent / Gracie Lee Rose said...

I'm a born and raised KY girl (and still live here) but 2 years ago we went to Wyoming and OMGosh it is just beautiful!!! You will love it!!!

And oh how there are some sexy cowboys in both states. Our horseback riding tour guide was HAWT with a capital T! He had blond hair, a super strong and cut jaw, and a nice arse in tight jeans. I'm an avid horse rider, but I did not mind having him as my "guide." My husband laughed and said I suppose he's Wake-Me-Up Wednesday worthy (back when I featured hot men on my blog.) Gosh I miss those days.....

Anyhoo, love the sound of this book! Enjoy your trip!