Home

Saturday, April 20, 2013

Contest Slut

The first step is admitting you have a problem. Okay. Here goes. I’m a slut. And not the good kind. I’m a contest slut.

It’s true. I’ll enter any writing contest willing to allow ebooks. Why just ebooks? Because generally, that’s all I’ve got. And that’s a good thing because if I had print books, I’d enter every writing contest out there. Luckily for me and my pocketbook most contests are 10 years behind the times and only accept print books.

Am I that confident in my writing abilities? No, not really. I’m always surprised when I do final. Surprised—followed by elated. The same kind of elated I feel when I have a book accepted by a publisher. The same kind of elated I feel when I see my next book cover. The same kind of elated I feel when I get a good review. I’m vindicated. I’m a writer. Now I’m a writer with a certificate, a cool graphic for my website and if I’m lucky enough to win, I might get a trophy to put in my glass case. Boom!

I’m equally surprised when I don’t final in a contest. I make excuses like “I’m ahead of my time” and “stupid judges are discriminating against ebooks” or “stupid judges are discriminating against smut (*clears throat* I mean erotic)”. I still haven’t embraced the notion that not every reader will love my writing. Someday I will. With help. Like a twelve step program, group therapy and booze.


Anyhow, the contest season is upon us and my paranormal erotic, Hair of the Dog, is a National Excellence in Fiction Romance Awards finalist. So, yeah, I’m stoked. And I’m happy just to be nominated alongside authors from St. Martin’s, Berkley, Harlequin, Kensington, Entangled, Montlake and Carina, just to name a few. If I come in third out of three, I’m still a winner in my mind.

What do you think about writing contests? Great marketing tool? Or not worth the price of admission?

Kelly blog
Goodreads
Amazon Author Page
@kelliscottbooks

4 comments:

Tina Donahue said...

Congrats, Kelli that's awesome! Don't know whether contest wins increase sales or visibility, but it sure feels good when you do win. :)

jean hart stewart said...

Really cute post. So many things feel good about bring a writer. We'll ignore the negatives right now!

Kelli Scott said...

Yes, I think contests just pet my ego, but sometimes I need to be petted.

Fiona McGier said...

Definitely an author thing, though. No readers have heard of the contests, so not sure how it might affect sales. But good luck.