Home

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

BEWARE Using Photos! by Adele Dubois

Over the years, I built a large blog following using picture-rich articles and columns filled with manly hunks. Those days were fun, but times have changed, and I’ve had to stop the practice. Photographers have joined musicians and authors in the fight to protect their copyrighted works. I can’t say I blame them. I know what it’s like to have others steal my books on file-sharing and pirate sites, and profit from my artistic labors.

Out of respect for my sister and fellow artists, I took all of my manly hunk posts down after word got out photographers were unhappy with the unauthorized use of their pictures, even with photo credits like the ones I provided. I have also taken down my Pinterest boards, and some Facebook pictures and You Tube videos, except the ones showcasing my book covers. 

After the New Year, I closed my Adele Dubois blog. I’ll continue to post news about 2013 releases, including Smokin' Hot Firemen, on my website at http://www.adeledubois.com/ 
 
I started a new blog, Adele Downs, to introduce my mainstream romance pen name. I'm truly a Sweet N' Sexy Diva! Later this year, Adele Downs will make her debut with new publishers and the contemporary romance holiday story A Convertible Too! http://adeledowns.wordpress.com

I'm still finding my way with the new Adele Downs blog, but will use only approved or personal photographs there. Authors who continue to post photos without written permission from photographers are taking a potentially costly financial risk. Takedown notices with the threat of a lawsuit behind them are a nightmare. (Remember when a media giant challenged my use of my real first name?) Posting unauthorized photos simply isn't worth possible repercussions.

I hope you’ll follow my new Adele Downs blog and join me on my mainstream journey. I’d love to hear your suggestions for interesting topics of conversation. What would you like to read about?
 
Here’s the link to one author’s copyright infringement tale: 

Best~Adele

13 comments:

KarennaC said...

Good luck with your new identity, Adele, and thanks for sharing this! Unfortunately even authors who are vehement about defending their own copyrights sometimes believe that if a picture is posted online, it's up for grabs, and that isn't always the case.

At one point, I hosted an author on my blog whose post included images of drawings. When I asked her if she'd drawn them, she said no, she'd found them on the artist's website and had downloaded them. When I asked whether she had the artist's permission to use them, she said no. She wasn't pleased when I then refused to include the images in the post, but I wasn't about to set myself up for complaints and possible legal action for using someone else's work without permission. (We found royalty-free stock images which were similar to the images she'd wanted to use and included those instead.)

Tina Donahue said...

Congrats on your new writing focus, Adele - I know it will be a great success.

I don't use any photos on my site unless they're cover art from authors or photos I've purchased for use from 123RF

Donna Michaels said...

Hi, Adele.

Best of luck with your new pen name and contemporary holiday romance. I am looking forward to hearing more!

I loved your blog, but understand why you've decided to start a new one under Adele Downs. That one will be just as great.

Adele Dubois said...

Karenna--

You made a wise decision not posting those drawings. That would definitely be outright copyright violation. You probably saved yourself a lot of headache.

Thanks for your good wishes.

Tina--

I appreciate your support. Thanks for the kind words.

Donna--

My new focus made the transition from one blog format to another smoother. I'm looking forward to this new challenge.

Thanks so much for your enthusiastic support!

Best--Adele

Renee Vincent / Gracie Lee Rose said...

Hey Adele, I did the same. Remember my Wake-Me-Up Wednesday posts with hunky men? I've had to rethink my posts and discontinue the segment for this very reason. It's a shame cause my readers loved it (and who doesn't like looking and appreciating the male body in all its glory LOL) but I also understand the photographers stance on the matter. It's there work and it's being plastered all over the net without consent.

Even though, like you, Adele, I credited the photographer with a direct link to their website, I was still leery and discontinued my WMU Wednesday.

I'm glad to see you stopped too. I sent out a notice to all my yahoo loops with a link to an author who DID get sued for it...I suppose you might have missed it. So sorry.

Anyway, I'm headed to your new blog right now to follow you!
Best of luck to you and remember....

They may take those lovely male images from our public blogs but they can't remove them from our private thoughts!

Paris said...

Adele,

Congratulations and good luck! I will really miss your MM's but I don't blame you for discontinuing them. I'm really cautious these days when it comes to posting pic's. After what you went through with the entertainer that shall not be named, I only use my covers.

Adele Dubois said...

Renee--

When I first got published in 2006 I started a "Classic Hunks" column and posted pictures and bios of hunky celebrity males over age 40. Fans began to collect those columns and they drew a huge following. Some of the celebrities even left comments. Then, one day, a hacker broke into my blog and trashed it. I had to take it down and start over.

The "Classic Hunks" column had been a whole lot of work, so I decided not to continue. After that, I moved on to "Mister Monday" using a hot hunks pic with a caption. Short and sexy, and my readers loved them. Alas, I had to stop those too, for fear of stepping on toes.

The timing of my duel pen names has worked out well for my blog changeover. Now I just have to chart my course! (You know the challenges of writing under two names!)

Thanks for your kind words and for following my new blog!

Best--Adele

Adele Dubois said...

Paris--

You have always been such a supportive friend. I really appreciate you!

Thanks so much for your congrats!

Best--Adele

jean hart stewart said...

Very informative column. I use mostly my own covers, so am safe, but it's a damn shame not to be able to use some of those hunky men.

Miriam Newman said...

Good post, Adele. Thanks for looking out for your friends.

Janice Seagraves said...

My wake up call came when I received two take down notices. One for my blog for a photo I used for a post and the other for photo bucket for my bought photos that I had uploaded so I could use the Photobucket photo editor. I didn't delete them afterwards, so shame on me.

I apologized to the photographer who contacted me and to photo bucket. He was nice after I apologized and removed the entire post. Then I spent five days deleting all the photos that weren't mine. However, now I'm a little paranoid that I forgot something. :(

Lucky for me, I take photos and draw, so I can make up the slack with my own work.

We all need to be so very careful now.

Take care and good luck with your new pen name and goals for this year.

Janice~

Adele Dubois said...

Jean--

I agree with you. I miss those hunky pics!

Thanks so much for commenting.

Miriam--

Glad you enjoyed the post, my friend. Thanks so much for stopping by!

Best--Adele

Adele Dubois said...

Janice--

I'll add your name to my mental list of authors who have experienced the photographer backlash we've been talking about. I'm so glad things worked out for you without a lawsuit! Yikes!

Thanks so much for your well wishes. I appreciate you stopping by.

Best--Adele