Home

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Making the Switch is Difficult


I'm going to try not to bore you today with my dribble and troubles.  I'm finding that making the switch from blogger/reviewer to author extremely hard.  Most of the time, I'm met with laughter, patronizing comments and then just being ignored.  Don't feel too bad for me.  According to a reviewer that I know that made the switch, its harder than I thought it would be.

Many people view me as a reviewer and that's what they like to see.  Not me as an author.  But I beg to differ on that.  Reviewing is a form of writing.  My reviews are generally over 300 words and I have to say everything that I liked or didn't like in a book without spoilers.  Its not as easy as it sounds.  In fact sometimes to just plain old hard to write a concise, well thought review.  Tim's post the other day was brilliant about reviewing.  

When I blog at Sweet N Sexy Divas that is also a form of writing.  As most people here can tell you, thinking of your once a month post can be a challenge.  What is the topic about?  Do I just promo this month?  Share personal things? Review a book?  Writing comes in all forms, not just a book.

The ugly truth that I'm finding out is that I'm not one of the "cool" people hurts.  I didn't set out to become one of the "cool" people when I decided to write but it hurts none the less.  Shoot, I'd like to not be laughed out for a day.  Trying to build my name up as an author is hard.  I've been turned down by more blog sites like Sweet N Sexy Divas in the last week that I have lost track of the sites that I applied for to blog.  Plus, I won't even get into my troubles with finding a CP or even a beta reader for the stuff I'm working on now.  Again, its the patronizing and pat on the head that makes me want to scream.  I had a frustration breakdown about two weeks ago in front of my husband.  He's first reaction, he wanted to beat everyone up but then when I tried to explain everything, he just hugged me and told me that everything would work out in time.  I haven't cried that hard in a long time.

I have attached my cover so you can see that yes, Virginia, its real.  I wrote a book and it releases in December.  I'm very proud of the "little book that could".  Its a short, spicy story about a couple that meet at a bar.  If I said anymore, I would spoil it.

Marika Weber w/a Harlie Williams
www.harliewilliams.com


6 comments:

Natasha Moore said...

Marika, congrats again on your first book. Hey, we both have December releases, isn't that cool? I'm sorry that some people aren't taking you seriously. Sometimes you have to walk away from the negative people. Seek out the positive people. All change is hard. You'll find your balance :)

Tina Donahue said...

Congrats on your book, Marika - may you burn up the net with your sales! :)

Fiona McGier said...

Aw, Harlie, honey, I wish I could give you a hug. Actually getting the book published is the easy part. Getting readers to notice you and your book is an uphill battle considering how many books are published each day. Then getting them to buy it rather than, as my co-workers often do, expecting me to give them one of the "free copies I must have gotten from my publisher"..."Oh, and could you autograph it too?" Yeah, let me get right on that..."To the cheapskate I work with, thanks for the support...NOT!"

Sigh. You can easily get discouraged and I didn't even start out as a reviewer like you. But you have some friends in the publishing world, like the divas here, who know you and are happy that you want to share in the experience of being an author.

Your reviewing came about because of your love of reading a specific kind of book. Your writing will no doubt be that kind of book for a while, maybe forever. But your writing will naturally improve the more you do it. Keep it up, girl! Don't let "them" get you down! Cry, scream, rage when you need to. But then sit back down and let the characters flow through your fingers onto the page/screen. They need an outlet out of your head and if you don't do it, they die. Let them out, write from your heart and head, and throw your pearls before swine. Sometimes you will be pleasantly surprised. And someday you'll get a reader sending you a love note because your book made her/him laugh, cry and it became a part of her/him. Those are the moments we live for.

Welcome to the club. We have your back.

jean hart stewart said...

Hang in there, honey. You'll succeed and it will be worth it. Refuse to think negative, and above all, keep writing.

Harlie Reader said...

Fiona and Jean, yall made me cry happy tears. I talked with an author that made the jump and it wasn't easy for her. Of course, she actually reviewed under her real name so switching to the pen name was much easier for her.

I realize that your first book doesn't mean much. Its your second book that people want to read. *sigh*

Tina...I just hope that people that review it will be somewhat kind. I know, talking like a reviewer, not an author.

Natasha...the negative has been thrown out. :)

Marika/Harlie

Maria D. said...

Well...the hubby is right - time makes things easier and things do get easier with time. With a world full of negativity it's hard to keep a positive spirit about you but it's what you need to do. For those that discount reviewers becoming authors or them basically being unpaid and unpublished authors I would say this - it takes a lot of time to come up with material to try to promote anyone's work and when a reviewer reads your book and gives you a positive review - that's free advertisement you're getting - be grateful and treat the person right. If you end up with a bad review - it doesn't hurt to read those too - sometimes you need to know what doesn't work about your book. Good luck!