Home

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Some of the best writing I've seen

Is on TV.

That's right, TV, that vast wasteland of incredibly incipid sitcoms, gag-worthy reality shows and mind-numbing sports programs (okay, okay, I hate sports - any sports - so shoot me).

The rare exception to the crappy TV programming is what's on AMC, USA and A&E. Here are my favs. If you haven't caught these shows, do yourself a favor. The writing is awesome - wickedly smart, scary and the characters wow - any writer should be proud to have penned characters like these.

1. The Walking Dead


I've never been into zombies, not even when I was a kid and loved horror movies. However, this show changed all that - it blew my freaking mind. I love the main characters and learned fairly quick that there would be pain because of it. Yep, even major characters die off in this series. You just don't know which one will get it until it happens. Amazing. Scary. Sad. The thought of this virus (or whatever it is) happening in our world is inconceivable and keeps me coming back for more.


2. Mad Men



Don Draper, you are a cad, a womanizer, a chain-smoking SOB and I can't get enough of you. Not only is Don sexy as hell, you just know there's something good within him struggling to get out. The politically incorrect language and thought processes of the men in this series is stunning. As a woman, it makes me think, "We've come a long way, baby."



3. Hell on Wheels


Mr. Bogrand can warm my bed any old time he wants. Until this series came along,  I never ever ever ever watched Westerns. That's changed. This story of revenge for what happened to his family during the Civil War and his redemption with the heroine (she's gutsy as hell BTW) is captivating. I love the way he drawls "Yes ma'am" and the look he gives her when she's not watching. Wow.



4. Suits



Can't say I like lawyers, but these guys - yum. Harvey (the one in the suit) is Alpha to the core yet with a clear streak of humanity. He's also a hottie. Mike, well, you want to smack him upside the head then give him a kiss for taking such foolish risks. The writing is smart and sexy. I've learned enough about the law from this series to take the bar exam. :)



5. The Glades



Jim and Callie, if you two don't get together, I'm going to put my foot through my TV screen. Their on again/off again relationship keeps me tuning in every week. Jim's an Alpha all the way but has a wonderfully wicked sense of humor. And when it comes to Callie...well, she can wrap him around her little finger. I love the witty dialogue, the playfulness between them, and then there's the sexual tension. Yummy.


Tina




Tina Donahue

“Heat with Heart”



SINFULLY WICKED (MAGNIFICENT - Romancing the Book)

THE YEARNING (HOLT MEDALLION AWARD OF MERIT)

UNENDING DESIRE (BEST BOOK Rating - LASR Erotic)

SENSUAL STRANGER (BOOK OF THE YEAR 2010)

DEEP, DARK, DELICIOUS (HOLT MEDALLION AWARD OF MERIT)



Website: http://www.tinadonahue.com/

Twitter: http://twitter.com/tinadonahue



12 comments:

Mrs Condit said...

I don't watch much tv but I'll check these out.

Tina Donahue said...

They are sooooo good. Seriously. I don't often say that, especially when comparing TV or films to a book. But these shows are that good. :)

jean hart stewart said...

And I thought I didn't like TV. Maybe I really do. I'll have to check these out and see....

Tina Donahue said...

You should, Jean - not only is the writing great - the eye candy - wow!! :)

Tim Smith said...

Tina, I like your choices - I'll even let the "eye candy" crack go LOL. I'm a fan of many of the USA shows, like "Suits" (intriguing characters), "White Collar" (intricate plots) and my fave "Burn Notice" (love those locales and the characters). I also like the writing on "NCIS", particularly the way they weave in movie references and subtle laughs. Also like "The Glades."

As for the rest of the vast wasteland, you nailed it - don't like reality shows and the only comedy I get genuine belly laughs from is "Mike and Molly."

Kathleen O said...

I just LOVE The GLades... and another show I watch is Longmire... it comes on right after The Glades..

Fiona McGier said...

We don't have cable so most of these are not available to us. And if I get any rare spare time, I try to write or promote. Alas, I fear I'll just have to take your word for it that these shows are good.

Tina Donahue said...

Hey, Tim - I have tried repeatedly to get into NCIS - sometimes it's the only thing on TV - but alas, it's just not for me. I don't like Mark Harmon. Saw him play Ted Bundy in a telepic and I just can't shake that image of him. I do like Criminal Minds, with Joe Montagna (didn't like Maddy Pannekin(sp) so much.

Tina Donahue said...

Kathleen, hi! I think Matt Passmore is a doll. Just love him. Haven't had a chance to catch Longmire yet, but I will. Looks intersting.

Tina Donahue said...

Can't blame you for not having cable, Fiona. I get the basic package (mostly junk channels they force on you) and it's nearly $100 bucks a month. Total robbery. However, you can buy the DVDs of these shows. Probably better that way - much cheaper and there are no commercials. Too, some of these shows are shown on the net. You can watch them for free from your computer screen. :)

Stormie Kent said...

Hi, you're the second person to recommend Hell on Wheels. I might check it out.

Tina Donahue said...

Oh, you have to, Stormie - the guy who plays the hero is soooooooo freaking hot!! :)