Home

Saturday, July 7, 2012

Moving and a question



As some of yall know my family is moving to Lindale, Texas on Friday, July 13th.  Yep, the irony is not lost on us.  I will admit that I'm writing this blog on Friday, July 6th.  I'm behind...so behind.  Most of yall have moved so you know about the purging, cleaning, sorting and packing.  Well, I found out something about myself in this whole process. 

*big breath*

I am a print book whore.  Yes, PRINT books.  Before I got my Nook, I was a print book hoarder/whore.  The Reader Service from Harlequin is evil I tell you, just evil.  At least it was before I got the Nook.  Now, I get them ebooked but still.  Good Lord.  I had 5 boxes (copy paper size) and 8 huge plastic bins.  I'm done to 2 plastic bins and one medium bin with my hardbacks.  Hubby is still saying that I have too many to move.  Trust me, I cried after I dropped off my books to my library.  Of course, they loved me for it.  Yes, their romance section was lacking...

For the past two weeks, I've been giving away print books on the blog.  I've had Lori Foster, Suzanne Brockman, Heather Graham, M.J. Cast, Joan Johnston books and there is more to come.  Its actually been freeing to get rid of the books but sad too.  Its like I'm giving up my friends.  I know I'll find new friends but still...

Here's the link for some free books from me...  http://harliebooks.blogspot.com


In other news, I have a poll up for everybody on the blog.  I'm not sure if authors know anything about "author services".  You know, a virtual assistant that helps you with blog tours, Facebook, Street Teams, calendar maintenance.  Basically being a PA, secretary or whatever you want to call them.  In my last job in Dallas, I was a Senior Executive Administrative Assistant to 3 Senior Vice Presidents at bank.  I was there for nine years and I loved my job.  In other words, I ran our department.  :) I've asked some author buddies of mine what they thought of this and most have just been speechless.  Didn't know that those kind of services were out there for the taking.  Some though knew about it but have been reluctant to even research the subject. 

If you go to the top right hand side of my blog, you will see a poll.  I would love it if you would answer the question for me.  Its just information for myself and no one else.  I'm interested to see what the results are from my readers.  Some of my blogger friends have added these services to their blog so I just want to hear from you and your thoughts.

Also, I'm not sure if yall read Smart Bitches, Trashy Books but I was a guest reviewer for her this week.  Here's the link...

http://smartbitchestrashybooks.com/blog/rita-reader-challenge-the-texans-bride-by-linda-warren1?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+smartbitchestrashybooks%2FwRgdXX+Smart+Bitches%2C+Trashy+Books

I'm quite proud of this review and honored to be on her blog. 

That's all I have for now.  Starting next week, I will be in and out since we are moving and our son's T-ball team made the playoffs.  Games start Monday. 



11 comments:

Tina Donahue said...

Good luck with your move. I've done it too many times to count. It's always nice to get settled in and have things go back to normal. :)

Harlie Reader said...

Thanks Tina. The amount of crap that you have to throw is mind boggling, too.

Marika

Mrs Condit said...

I hate moving until it's done and then it always seems to be so well worth the effort. Enjoy your new home!

Melissa Limoges said...

Moving.. blah. Can't say I like that. But I can say I really love your site, Marika. I love reading your reviews and I get a chance to find new books I might not have known otherwise.

Hope your move goes well for you and your family!

Casea Major said...

Good Luck with the Move, Marika. It's hard to get rid of those books. Why didn't you take them to half price books. They would give you some cash at least.

Under the Covers said...

Good luck with the move and congrats on the review!

Francesca

Maria D. said...

Good luck with the move and Good Luck to your son's TBall team.

ellaquinnauthor said...

Don't feel bad about how many books you have. When we moved from Germany to VA, we had 200 boxes of books and no bookshelves because the ones in Germany were built in. Before the move to St Thomas, I was ruthless with both me and my husband. I still have too many books. Thank God for Kindle. Good luck with the move.

jean hart stewart said...

Hate to even think of moving, and as for hoarding books, I'm beyond redemption...Good luck with your new home...

Harlie Reader said...

Thanks Becky, Melissa, Francesca, Elle, Maria and Jean.

@Casea, I didn't have time to run to Dallas to drop them off at Half Price Books. Plus, they aren't buying as much romance right now.

Fiona McGier said...

When I sold my parents' house, there were literally shelves of books in every room except the bathrooms! I took box after box to the used book store near my house. Mom used to go to the local branch of her library and "bring one, take one", so her supplies NEVER depleted. I gave a few boxes to the local AAUW, (Am. Assoc. of Univ. Women), because they have a huge book sale once a year and Mom used to love to go there on their last day when you could fill a brown grocery bag for $5.00...she was like a kid in a candy store!

I've only moved a few times with my husband but he's always made me give away books when we did. I'm like you in that I felt like I was losing old friends! Yes, new friends on e-readers are nice, but the old friends will miss you! ;-D