Home

Thursday, January 19, 2012

My Other Passion - Cooking by Selena Robins

In December, I had the honor of interviewing Top Chef contestant Fabio Viviani by telephone. It occurred to me while we were talking that cooking and writing have so much in common.

Both are art forms. Both are subject to individual tastes and chefs and writers are both passionate about their craft.

The cooking/chef world is as competitive as the publishing industry. Chefs, like writers no longer can stand behind a counter and create culinary masterpieces, they also have to be out there, marketing themselves, connecting with their audience and also endure critiques and reviews. A lot of chefs these days are also venturing into the publishing world, with cookbooks and You Tube shows.

I admit, I buy a lot of cook books, mostly for the pictures and to get different ideas for entertaining and dinners, but I have a hard time following a recipe, as I was taught to cook without a recipe. However, as I love books (excluding reality television celebrity tell alls of course).

My interview with Fabio can be read on my blog. Fabio is also gifting EVERYONE free copies of all his eCookBooks.

If you have a moment, stop by and pick up some of his cook books, they have delicious recipes. His interview was also enjoyable and witty.

Selena's Blog
Selena's Website


About Selena:



Genre-defying, witty, humorous, suspenseful, romantic and sexy— words used to describe Selena’s novels. A self professed foodie and chocolate guru, she loves to dance with her dog, sing into her hairbrush and write in her PJ's. In love with her family, friends, books, laughter, hockey, lively discussions and red wine (sometimes all at the same time). Selena is a dragon slayer who enjoys reading and writing sassy heroines and hot heroes (the ones your mamma warned you about, but secretly wished she’d dated a few in her life).

7 comments:

Tina Donahue said...

I love the Food Network and the Top Chef contests on Bravo. Can't get enough of those challenges. Also love Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives and Man vs Food. If it doesn't come in a can, I can't cook it. I envy these talented chefs. Great blog, Selena

Kellie Kamryn said...

I love watching the occasional food show. Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives is great. I like to follow a recipe but I improvise a lot!

Selena Robins said...

Hi, Tina and Kellie, thanks for stopping by, glad you enjoyed the blog.

Tina, I love the Food Network as well. Best reality tv is the competitions.

Kellie, I improvise a lot as well, I think that's the joy of cooking, anything goes....well, sometimes the family isn't a fan of my experiments. LOL

Fiona McGier said...

I don't have cable so no food shows for me. But my favorite find is Penzey's spices. There is a store close to me, but if you get on their mailing list, they send a catalogue regularly with excellent recipes submitted by readers, and using their fresh and excellent spices. I've learned how to make curries with vindaloo(never heard of it before!), Mexican-style shredded beef (yum!) and soups with epazote (I had never heard of that either!) In the store you can sniff all of the spices, to see which you might want to try. I don't put hot peppers on my pizza since I discovered dried jalapenos!
www.penzeys.com

Selena Robins said...

Hi, Fiona, thanks for the information. That's great. If you don't mind, can you post a comment with that information on my blog, or I can do it. I'm sure my readers would love to know about this.

Fiona McGier said...

Hey Selena, I'm off to my retail drone job, so go ahead and post the info about Penzeys. On the rare nights I'm home for dinner and not standing for long hours/low pay, I try to make different meals, experimenting with new spices. Penzeys is great for new ideas!

Selena Robins said...

Thanks, Fiona, I will credit you with the link. :) Have a great evening.