Home

Monday, November 7, 2011

Interacting with readers!

I absolutely love interacting with my readers whether they love my books or not. I know. I must be a bit crazy, but they give me the feedback I need to make my writing better. You can't please everyone and not everyone will like what you write. It's a given when you're a writer so plan to be disappointed, angry, sad or whatever when you get a bad review. It will happen at some point.

I went to a readers conference at an RWA luncheon this past weekend and loved it! I got to sit with a couple of readers who had never read any of my books, but we were able to talk writing and reading. I did sell a few copies of my pieces which is always nice. I don't consider it a goal for me to sell anything at a conference. For me, it's being with the readers and other writers and telling people about my books. I gave away a nice readers basket with my entire Wilder Series, some western themed bookends and a western frame in a really cool box. Hopefully, the girl who won it will enjoy the books. That's all I can ask for. I did give out some free books, bookmarks and things so all in all, it was a very productive day.

So, my question to all is this. Do you enjoy conferences where you can interact with your favorite authors? Do you like seeing your favorites as normal people and not someone you can't even talk to?

Some of my favorite conferences are Lori Foster's Get Together and many others. There are tons of new ones cropping up next year that I'll be at so come by and look me up!

~ Sandy

6 comments:

Tina Donahue said...

I've only been to one national - too expensive to consider again. I love talking to other authors and fans and potential fans. Best way for me is on the net or via email. Much, much cheaper. :)

Renee Vincent said...

Interacting with readers is one of my favorite things about being an author. I've met some of the most gracious fans/readers through conferences and if I can afford it, I will always attend them.

Hoping to go to RT Chicago 2012 for the first time, and Lori Foster's event again next year. Hope to see you there Sandy!

Tim Smith said...

Sandy, I also enjoy talking with readers. I don't attend that many conferences but I do a lot of book fairs and festivals throughout Ohio. Even though I'm primarily promoting e-books and my print back stock, I give away promo items and meet a lot of interesting people. Some of them have given me some good ideas and feedback, too.

The Lori Foster gig was the first conference I attended and I plan on going again next year.

jean hart stewart said...

I'd love to go to big conference but can't manage it anymore. I do try to keep up on the internet, and that's getting to be a long job. So many good blogs and talks to try to cover.

Adele Dubois said...

I love interacting with readers, but do that mostly on my blog, Twitter, and Facebook. The conferences I've attended have focused on writing. I did attend one readers' Con two years ago and had a great time.

Best--Adele

Fiona McGier said...

There's going to be an RT conference in Chi-town? In 2012? When? Where? Is there a link? I can't afford anything out of state, but I might be able to attend a local event, at least for the day...