Home

Monday, October 17, 2011

Writing Balance


Balance seems to be harder and harder to achieve the more I persevere in this writing life. I spend most of my day at the computer, reading my email, commenting on blogs, and chatting with people at various on-line groups. I now have fan pages on Facebook and Twitter. I join discussions on Amazon and Goodreads. I read tips on marketing and articles on promotion. I attend meetings, blog twice a month, read and critique pages from other writers. Before I know it, it’s time to start supper. The day is over and I haven’t written a word.

My goal this fall is to write more (when I’m not working—darn that day job), to dedicate a minimum of two hours each day to actually putting words on the page rather than thinking about them as I walk the dog. I started my new novel a little over a year ago and it’s still not finished. Granted research also demands a good chunk of time, and once again there is that balance issue again.

During my sacred two hours I will not worry about the phone, laundry, dishes or clumps of dog hair gathered in corners. Chapter Nine will be written. Actually it’s already written, it needs to be re-written. Victoria, Ryder and Percy will get their story, sooner rather than later, because they probably won’t leave me alone until they do.

8 comments:

Tina Donahue said...

It's so true, Kathy, that all the social media and promo takes so much precious time. I make it a rule to get my writing done first, then I do the other stuff. It's the only way I can get what I consider most important out.

Kathy Otten said...

Hi Tina,
Wow, you must get your writing done early, cause for me your comment entry says 4:49. It's 8:20 here and I just rolled out of bed. It's a good rule to write first, someone also suggested to me the idea of a 15 minute sprint. Write as fast as you can for 15 min. without stopping. It puts words on the page instead watching leaves fall outside.

Sarah J. McNeal said...

I can identify with your problem, Kathy. I found myself on the computer most of the day but I wasn't getting any writing done. I did a great deal of socializing and working at blogs and scheduling but no writing. I had to readjust my priorities. As much fun as yakking it up with readers and autors might be, I had to give it up to focus on my craft. I also had to set some writing hours.
I love your work, Kathy. Your stories are so endearing and memorable. So get to work! ha ha

Renee Vincent said...

Kathy, I so feel your pain. It's is a balancing act in this business. But it can be done. You just have to prioritize and stick with it.

Here at SNSD, you have plenty of support from so many great authors and we will always lend tips and advice when asked. I've learned a lot from so many great "tried and true" authors who promote, support others, socialize, and still find the time to write.

Best of luck to you, dear!

Kathy Otten said...

Yes, Sarah, I need to get to work. I promised myself that I would have my new novel done in a year. It's been four months past that. Uhg! It just feels as if I won't sell anything if I don't socialize. Caught between a rock and a hard place.

Kathy Otten said...

Thanks for your support, Renee, and everyone! :)

jean hart stewart said...

I constantly try to limit my promo and blog time but it's a hassle. I always feel I should do more. But you have to cut it off or no writing gets done. I do my other stuff before noon, then after that dedicate as much time as I can to writing. Always a juggling act.

Kathy Otten said...

Hi Jean,
I suppose I just need to accept that it will always be a juggling act.