Home

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Waiting is the Worst by Stephanie Julian

I'm so not a patient person. (That laughing you hear in the background is my husband. He knows what an understatement this is.)

I hate waiting for anything but the publishing business is a whole lot of wait. And work and worry and wonder.

You work your ass off to write what you hope is a marketable story. You worry that anyone will publish it. And after someone thinks, hey, this is a pretty good story and agrees to contract it, you wait with baited breath for the day to come when it goes on sale. Then you wonder.Will it sell well? Will people like it? Will it get good reviews?

I've been working in the epublishing world for a few years now and the wait time from acceptance to publication is usually just a few months. But when you sell to a traditional print publisher, the wait to see it in print can be a year and more.

The first erotic romance in my Forgotten Goddesses series from Sourcebooks Casablanca will be released in July. I sold the book in early 2010. That's almost a year and a half from sale to on-sale. Now, I've finished another four or five books in the intervening time, so I've kept busy. But as July creeps closer, I find myself lying awake at night wishing I would wake up and it would magically be July. Of course, that would mean I'd miss the fun of Lori Foster's Reader's Weekend, my oldest son's graduation from high school and my birthday.

Good things do come to those who wait. I get that. I just wish they'd come a little fast.

Hate to wait? You don't have to! Would you like to read WHAT A GODDESS WANTS before it goes on sale? I've got an ARC to give away. Leave me a comment, tell me what you hate to wait for and I'll pick one winner by Friday May 13. Remember to leave an email address with your comment so I can contact you.

WHAT A GODDESS WANTS

IN HIS ARMS, HER MAGIC POWERS ARE ON THE RISE...

Tessa, Etruscan Goddess of the Dawn, is losing her powers and now there's an Underworld god determined to run her down. She needs a hero and fast, because only sexual energy can give her power. So she seeks out Caligo, whose sexual prowess is legendary...

AND SHE'S THE ONLY ONE WHO CAN BRING HIM INTO THE LIGHT...
Caligo is a fabled Cimmerian warrior determined to stay away from spoiled goddesses who trample hearts after they've had their fun. But there's something irresistibly hot and inviting about Tessa and he knows he's her only change to escape the encroaching darkness...
 
Winners:
Since Blogger so unkindly ate some comments, I had my guys pick two winners to get an ARC.


*yadkny* and michele


I'll be sending you emails to get your addresses. Thanks so much everyone.

25 comments:

Delaney Diamond said...

What a lovely cover, Stephanie. It certainly captures the attention.

I hate to wait on other people when we go out to dinner. Sometimes it's a big group of me and my friends (10-15). After about 15 minutes, I say let's get a table and start ordering--they can catch up when they get here.

Not everyone feels the same way, so I usually suffer in silence until the stragglers arrive. Very annoying.

Stephanie Julian said...

Thank you, Delaney. I adore the cover. And I had absolutely nothing to do with it. The Sourcebooks cover artists are wizards,

And I know what you mean about dinner. Don't make me wait for my food! I get very cranky.

Tina Donahue said...

Part of the biz, Stephanie. And we write because we have to - not for the glory.

Jen Blackwell-Yale said...

I hate waiting in the exam room for the doctor to come in and start the exam. So annoying!

I also hate waiting for your books to come out...because I know they're going to be awesome! =)

*yadkny* said...

I hate to wait for new releases only to have it be a big flop! Doesn't matter if it's books, movies, etc. It's even worse if it's part of a much anticipated series. That's happened to me already once this year and it was exactly what I feared would happen. It is a viscious cycle because it doesn't stop me from waiting for the next:)

yadkny@hotmail.com

Stephanie Julian said...

Too true, Tina.

Stephanie Julian said...

especially when it's your kid's doctor and the kid's already cranky. it's hell.

and smooches!

Stephanie Julian said...

I feel your pain, yadkny. it's such a let down. the good thing is there's always something new coming down the line.

Artemis said...

I'm the oddball. I usually don't mind waiting. When it happens, I find something to occupy the wait time. Praying, meditating, reading: Whatever your choice. Life is a journey, you never know what you'll discover just by waiting.

And one of my favorite sayings: Be careful what you wish for -- you just might get it!

Stephanie Julian said...

Good philosophy, Artemis. Wish I could find it in myself to be just a little more patient. I am enjoying the journey, I just there were more hills than valleys lately.

Sarah J. McNeal said...

I'm impatient about the things that scare me like getting a shot, donating blood or boarding a plane. I'd rather just be forst and get it over with.
When it comes to writing, I have all the patience in the world. I submit a book to some publishers and move on to the next WIP. I focus on the work at hand and let go of the how and when. But I am by no means a type A personality. I don't have anxiety attacks, temper tantrums or hasten to get things done. I live in the moment.
I wish you every success with What A Goddess Wants.

Cathy M said...

I am usually pretty patient myself about most things, though I hate waiting for new releases from my auto-buy authors, and for new or favorite tv shows to start their season.


caity_mack at yahoo dot com

Stephanie Julian said...

Thanks Sarah and I wish you could send a little bit of that patience my way. It's a precious commodity.

Stephanie Julian said...

Cathy,

Right now I'm chomping at the bit to get my hands on Nalini Singh's upcoming Kiss of Snow. I'm thinking about staying up until midnight so I can read the book as soon as it downloads to my Nook. I'm a little obsessed.

Rawiya said...

I'm impatient as well but when I've learned to be more patient. After all, the editor holds the cards to your story.

I just keep writing and when they respond, the nervousness comes back. :)

Fiona McGier said...

There are 3 kinds of people in the world: Early people, who are the first to get there and always early for appointments. On-Time people, who are within 5 minutes of when they are supposed to be anywhere, and Late people...MY people! No matter how I try, I'm always late. The key to being late is to be charming when you get there, so everyone feels the party didn't really get started until you got there. That way you reward their patience with a chuckle or smile, and they forgive you...mostly. Or they learn to tell you to get there 15-30 minutes BEFORE anything starts, so you actually will be on-time! Sneaky, huh?
Good luck with the much-anticipated new book!

Stephanie Julian said...

Rawiya, come over and sit by me. we'll be impatient together.

Stephanie Julian said...

Fiona, that first one is my husband and I'm the third. together we manage to get where we're going mostly on time. which is how we've lasted for 21 years and counting.

Thanks so much!

sonya said...

I'm hate to wait for anything period. I'm just not good at it. It kills me to wait for the next book in a series that is how bad I am lol

Sonya
sonyalovesbooks@yahoo.com

michelle said...

I hate waiting to see who wins the book contests I enter! lol!

mishcara (at) gmail (dot) com

Stephanie Julian said...

me too, Sonya, especially when it's a series I love, like Stacia Kane's Chess Putnam series. I love Terrible. I'm dying to get more of Terrible.

Stephanie Julian said...

lol Michelle, and smiles!

NurseJackie said...

I hate waiting for another book to come out. I read so quickly that I find I'm constantly waiting for the next book. I'm trying to patiently wait for the next Etruscan book :)

michelle said...

Guess I'm one of the comments that got gobbled by blogger...my previous comment was that I hated waiting to find out who won the book contests that I enter... but now I also hate waiting for blogger :D

mishcara (at) gmail (dot) com

Stella (Ex Libris) said...

Sorry to be late, but it seems Blogger deleted my comment that I have left on Thursday grr..

There are several things I hate to wait for: exam results, September to arrive so my favourite TV series continue, release of a much anticipated novel, my little sister to arrive home at night, and of course for that special guy to call me ;-D

Thank you for the great giveaway, crossing my fingers! :-)

stella.exlibris (at) gmail (dot) com