Home

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

JASON'S ANGEL from A HISTORICAL COLLECTION


Hi everyone! I just wanted to share with you all what a great month May has been for me! I have had two short stories released this month with Victory Tales Press. Today I wanted to tell you about the one that appears in A HISTORICAL COLLECTION, an anthology that I’m in along with Karen Michelle Nutt (The Devil’s Wolf), Kate Kindle (A Tale From the Red Chest), and Miriam Newman (Deirdre). These stories all take place in different historical settings and time periods. My story, Jason’s Angel, is set in the final days of the War Between the States.

Writing Jason’s Angel wasn’t easy. My conundrum was the fact that for me, the Civil War was such a tragic time in our history that I wasn’t sure if I could see that my characters reached their “Happily Ever After” ending that I wanted them to have. The only way I could see to do that in this case was to make Sabrina Patrick’s compassion so great that she saw beyond all boundaries of gray or blue, and didn’t think of the hero, Jason McCain, as the enemy, but first as a wounded man who needed her help.

Since Jason and another fellow Union soldier had been captured and are being held in the hospital where Sabrina volunteers, she knows that they will both die of their wounds if she doesn’t do something more than let nature run its course in those deplorable conditions. There is nothing she can do but bring them home, away from the inhumane treatment they are receiving from their guard and even from some of the hospital staff. No one is more surprised than her Aunt Emmaline, who is none to happy with Sabrina’s decision.

The only thing that could make matters worse is to find out that not only is Jason wearing Yankee Blue, he’s a southern boy, born and bred in Georgia—only a few miles from where Sabrina’s home is situated. What could make him fight for the Union? As Sabrina finds out more about Jason’s devastating past, she begins to understand. Because he is half Cherokee, his family has been shunned, and unimaginable tragedy has followed. Can his restless soul find peace in Sabrina’s sweet love for him?

I will leave you with a blurb and excerpt from JASON’S ANGEL. To order A HISTORICAL COLLECTION, go to the Victory Tales Press store here:
http://victorytalespress.yolasite.com/online-store.php

or to my Amazon author page here:
http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B002JV8GUE

If you would like to read about the other exciting stories in this anthology, or any of the other anthologies that Victory Tales Press offers, here’s the link
http://victorytalespress.yolasite.com/online-store.php

I WILL BE GIVING AWAY PDF COPIES OF A HISTORICAL COLLECTION TO TWO COMMENTERS TODAY! Please leave a comment when you stop by to read the blog along with your e-mail address and you will be automatically entered for the drawing.
Jason 's Angel by Cheryl Pierson Two wounded Union soldiers will die without proper treatment. Sabrina Patrick realizes they won't get it at the Confederate army hospital where she helps nurse wounded men. She does the unthinkable and takes them to her home.
Jason McCain’s pain is eased by the feel of clean sheets, a soft bed, and a touch that surely must belong to an angel. But what reason could an angel have for bringing him and his brother here?

FROM JASON'S ANGEL:

Sabrina nodded. “Is there something else, Aunt Emma?”

“You’ve been acting mighty peculiar, Sabrina. Did something happen between you and Jason?” The kindness and assurance of understanding, no matter what, in her aunt’s tone undid what little resolve Sabrina had left. She had been on pins and needles since Jason had kissed her. And she’d thought of nothing else. But she’d been careful to avoid being in a similar position again since that day, and when she’d brought up his meals there had been only polite conversation between them.

Once, she’d thought she’d caught a glint of a deviling reminder in his eyes, but he’d looked past her after a moment and she couldn’t be sure. She couldn’t even tell Desi. Desi would have gotten the greatest bit of fun from that knowledge—and she was unpredictable.

For all Sabrina knew, had she confided in Desi, her younger sister might have decided to take matters into her own hands and tell Jason that Sabrina liked it. Which she had. Or that Sabrina wished with all her heart he would kiss her again. Which she did. She might even tell him of that indescribable rush of wind and heat and wonder that moved over her entire body when their lips had met—a feeling that she was still trying to figure out how to put into words herself.

But Desiree would certainly have no trouble telling Jason what Sabrina had felt like—she was never at a loss for words. And that’s why Sabrina could never tell her—not until she grew up a little.

How wonderful it would be to unburden herself to Aunt Emmaline. And how utterly shameful.

“He…he kissed me,” she blurted. The familiar heat burned her cheeks.

But Aunt Emmaline only smiled, and Sabrina watched her face transform into a reminder of the beauty she must have been as a young woman.

“Is…that all?”

Sabrina took a deep breath. This was harder than she had imagined it might be. “No. I—Aunt Emma, I kissed him back.”

Aunt Emma didn’t answer for a moment. Finally, she took Sabrina’s hand in hers until Sabrina met her eyes. “Sabrina, when I was young—younger than you, though not quite as featherheaded as Desi—there was a young man in my life. He kissed me one time—and I kissed him back. I’ve often wished through the years, that I’d allowed myself a second kiss. Things…might have worked out very differently if I had.”

“Aunt Emma—are you saying—”

The older woman squeezed Sabrina’s hand gently. “I’m saying follow your heart. He’s a lonely soul, your Jason. He’s searching for a place in the world. And this world is changing, dear. He may never find it without your help. I’ve often wondered why you brought home two Yankees. I’ve done a little digging of my own, as well. These boys are Georgia born and bred. Mrs. Davenport knows of their family, the McCains from over near Allen’s Ridge.”

Sabrina was quiet, wondering how much of the family history her aunt had uncovered.
“I…learned quite a bit, Sabrina,” she said gently.

Apparently, though, she wasn’t going to share any details.

“Mrs. Davenport is a fount of information. Those men have been through hell, and not just the last years while the war has been raging.”

Sabrina nodded, her throat tight. What must Jason believe, after what he had told her? That she was keeping her distance because he’d opened his heart to her? Or, because he was, as he said, “a half breed”?

She had to go to him.

23 comments:

Tina Donahue said...

Jason's Angel sounds wonderful, Cheryl. I love the time period you write in. :)

Sarah J. McNeal said...

I can't keep up with you, Cheryl. I just got the Western Saga Anthology and now you have the Historical Anothology. Jason's Angel is going to be a delicious story and I must have it. I like that Jason is part Cherokee and a Union officer even though he's a southerner. I liked the excerpt where Aunt Emma tells Sabrina to follow her heart instead of being such a steadfast Confederate loyalist. A wise woman.
Now listen up Cheryl, I think you should slow down until I catch up with all these stories. LOL
I don't have to wish you success--you already have it.

Cheryl Pierson said...

Thanks, Tina. I don't usually like to write Civil War stories, because I just think that's one of the very saddest times ever, but this one had to be in that time period--I love the old west, no matter when or where, and that's the future they are going to. Thanks for reading and commenting, and so sorry it took me so long to get here.
Cheryl

Cheryl Pierson said...

Aw, Sarah, that is so sweet of you! You are a great friend, and I appreciate that you are enjoying my stories so much. Thanks so much for all your support. I really enjoyed Jason's Angel and after I wrote it I started thinking, "Hmmm. Wonder what ahppened after they ..." I may have to revisit them at some point! LOL
Hugs,
Cheryl

Fiona McGier said...

Cheryl, what an interesting twist to have the hero be a part Cherokee, when most fiction seems to forget they were still around during the Civil War and even now. The white man may have tried to wipe them out, but the Native Americans are still around, still trying to enforce the treaties that were made and broken almost instantly way back when.

And I understand about having to do as the characters "tell" you to do. The voices in my head are bossy too! LOL...
Good luck with sales.

Delaney Diamond said...

Sounds like an interesting read, Cheryl. I like the complexity of the male character, fighting for the North and being biracial.

Best of luck to you!

Cheryl Pierson said...

Fiona,
You will definitely love this story because he is ALSO half Scottish! I chose this combo because just about everything I write has a hero who is half or full blood Native American since we have a lot of Indian blood on both sides of my family. BUT, I have never written anything that also had the hero be half something else other than just "anglo." Jason is a hunk and has such an interesting background, I really thought of making those characters into a much longer story at some point. Yes, treaties were made and broken, back then and also today. Seems like the powers that be are STILL trying to do a lot the stuff NOW as they did then only now it involves not only the land but the water rights. I'm so glad you came by and commented Fiona! i will enter you in the drawing--didn't see your e-mail addy on your post, but if you want to post again and include it that would help in case your name is drawn.
Cheryl

Cheryl Pierson said...

Delaney,
Thanks so much for coming by and commenting. You are a dear to be so steadfast in your support, and I appreciate it so much. That's one of my goals for 2012--next year is going to be better than this year was, I'm determined, and I'm going to have more time reserved to go comment on my friends' and fellow authors' blogs. Real life has been something else this year! LOL I would love to enter you in the drawing if you will please comment again and leave your e-mail addy? Please?
Cheryl

Tina Donahue said...

Just testing this to see if it works.

joder said...

Jason's Angel sounds sssssooooo good! I love the time period it's written in and am intrigued by the conflicted emotions the heroine feels. Thanks for the opportunity to win some great books!

joderjo402 AT gmail DOT com

Willa Edwards said...

Cheryl, the story looks great. I love Aunt Emmaline, she seems like everyone's grandmother. Old fashioned, a little nutty, wise and very loving. I hope you much success and many many sales.

Brenda Hyde said...

I made it here:) Cheryl-- I love your thinking on the characters. I really respect anyone who can write historicals because the dialog and research seems daunting to me. Your story sounds wonderful!

Pommawolf Emeraldwolfeyes said...

Thank you Cheryl &SweetnSexyDivas....
Thank you so much for this wonderful blog, I find always the best stuff info, authors and books galore....:)
I love this historical period and never can find the good stories in this time period.
I just love the excerpt and it's grabbed me so I had to put this on my gotta have asap....which is on the top of my list.

Love you Ladies!
Darcy

pommawolf @hotmail.com

Teresa K. said...

Hi Cheryl& the Sexy Divas,

Cheryl you had me when you said Jason was half Cherokee. Being Tuscarora Indian and the Cherokee's are my cousins I have to this book,lol.

Honestly to write about the Civil War was a brave thing for you. This was such a perilous time. Especially when brothers and fathers fought against each other on the opposite sides.

I love the excerpt and please write more Historicals. I wish you much success with this book.

Teresa K.
tcwgrlup41(at)yahoo.com

Cheryl Pierson said...

Hi Joder,

Sorry I wasn't able to be on here yesterday--we were perilously close to that first tornado that was all over the news (I live in OK City.) Anyhow, I'm glad that you enjoyed the excerpt. I love writing conflicted characters. LOL I will do the drawing here in a few minutes.
Cheryl

Cheryl Pierson said...

Willa,
Thank you so much for your kind words. I'm so sorry I wasn't back on yesterday to answer these comments-we were in the "line of fire" so to speak with the tornadoes here in Oklahoma City. Thanks for reading and commenting. I will put your name in the drawing here in a few minutes.
Cheryl

Cheryl Pierson said...

Hi Brenda,
That's how I feel about mysteries. I don't think I could ever write one of those because of having to make it all "work out" and not give too many clues up front. LOL Sorry I'm so late in answering--I live in Oklahoma City and was about 3-5 miles from that first tornado, so I wasn't able to be on the computer yesterday p.m. I'll put you in the drawing and will do that here in a minute or two.Thanks so much for your persistence with BLOGGER!!! LOL
Cheryl

Cheryl Pierson said...

Hi Darcy,
Kathy Otten and Susan Macatee write a lot of westerns and Civil War era books that are just excellent. If you like anthologies, try going to the website over at Victory Tales Press (link is in the body of the post) and there are tons of great short story anthologies there. The good thing is that they have a variety of stories of different time periods. I write either old west or contemporary--Civil War stories, I have 2 of--Jason's Angel, and Homecoming, which is in one of the Christmas anthologies there at VTP. Thanks so much for commenting, and I'll enter your name in the drawing.
Cheryl

Cheryl Pierson said...

Teresa,
I'm part Cherokee and Choctaw, so all my heroes are half or full blood of one or the other, sometimes a mix. I have one hero, Rafe d'Angelico, that is half Spanish. He's the star of Time Plains Drifter, which will be released with Western Trail Blazers next month (I'll keep you posted.)Thanks for your kind words, Teresa! I have written quite a few historicals--FIRE EYES was my first full length novel with The Wild Rose Press (historical western) and I have another one with them, a contemporary romantic suspense, SWEET DANGER. I have a western novella with TWRP, A NIGHT FOR MIRACLES, and a free read (Civil War era, forgot about that one!) UNTIL THE LAST STAR BURNS OUT. All my other fictional short stories are with Victory Tales Press, and I have some non-fiction ones out there with Chicken Soup and Adams Media.

Thanks so much for your kind words, Teresa, and I will enter your name in the drawing!
Cheryl

Delaney Diamond said...

Your wish is my command. Here's my email: delaneydiamond(at)ymail.com.

Thank you!

Cheryl Pierson said...

Hey everyone!

OK, I just had the DH to draw out of my lucky straw cowboy hat...the winners are....BRENDA AND DELANEY!!!!! Y'all don't despair if you didn't win--I'm also giving away 2 copies of this anthology over at Petticoats and Pistols today. Hop over there and comment for another chance to win! Thanks to everyone for coming out and commenting! I appreciate this--next month (JUNE 21) I will be giving away 2 copies of my latest anthology, A WESTERN SAGA.

Adele Dubois said...

Cheryl--I bought this book and look forward to reading it. Best of luck with your writing career.

~Adele

Cheryl Pierson said...

Adele,
Thank you so much for letting me know! I hope you enjoy it Adele!
Cheryl