Home

Monday, April 4, 2011

Spring!

Spring has arrived in Middle Tennessee where I live. The trees are in bloom. The temperatures are hovering in the 60's and 70's during the day although it's still getting rather cool at night. I know for those in the northeast, it's still winter. My daughter, who is in college in Vermont, told me yesterday they got 2 inches of snow. It didn't last long, but still.

The grass is growing like weeds (oh wait, those are weeds) in my lawn and my horses aren't keeping it mowed down very well. Hubby is having to mow and I have to listen to him grumble for hours after he's done, not all of it mind you, he does it in sections since we have about 5 acres that is yard. No, we do not have a riding lawnmower. Ours is a self-propelled walk behind. Originally he said he wanted it for the exercise, but now he complains about it. Me? Not going there. LOL

I need to plant some bulbs for flowers, but we have mostly clay for dirt and nothing grows very well in clay. I have my window boxes on the porch railing though. I need to break down and go buy something to put in there.

So, are you one of those who plants flowers or has a huge vegetable garden? I'd love to have one, but we have tons of possum (many end up in our backyard and the dogs take care of the population too stupid to stay out), rabbits, deer, etc. It makes it rather hard to keep those types out of a garden so we would have a good production of things. Then again back to the clay, would it grow? My neighbors seem to get corn and things to grow so maybe I should try it. I think about it every year, but I have yet to actually plant anything.

As I sit here today watching the wind push the tree limbs around, I think about the coming summer months, the work that will be required to make and maintain a garden when the heat hits in the 90's and 100's, I'll stay in my house, drink my lemonade and watch the world go by.

And you?

~ Sandy

8 comments:

Rawiya said...

Great post Sandy.

I love Spring in Chicgao. The end of winter but it gets harsh here in the summer.

Hopefully, I'll be spending some time traveling. ;)

Sarah J. McNeal said...

We are in the clay belt here in North Carolina. It's great for pottery and there are many talented potters here--but it sucks for gardening. Mixing sand into the soil helps. Ofcourse, digging around in clay soil is difficult so I wait until a recent rain soaks and softens it before I attempt it.
I mostly do container gardening now because it's easier but you certainly have inspired me to get going on my outdoor living space.

Fiona McGier said...

Husband is the gardener in the family. For years he would point to women we'd drive by, who were planting things in their yard, and say things like, "See? There's a real woman." I'd give him "the look" and point out that she probably didn't bake her husband a pie that day, or prepare him home-cooked meals with home-made bread either. AND who knows if she just "lies there" and thinks about gardening magazines while he's "busy"? He'd shut up then!
But I do enjoy home-grown tomatoes! Nothing like them! He grows cherry tomatoes just for me, cause I eat them off the vine like candy! Yum!

Delaney Diamond said...

I have a black thumb. I can't grow anything. Summers in Georgia are scorching, but it's nice to get out and be social with friends and family after spending so much time indoors during the winter.

Desmond Haas said...

Every spring, until five years ago, my lovely bride asked me to work on the vegetable garden and plants all (and I do mean all) around the house.

Five years ago, she gave up and now, I break from writing to go outside and give her a cuddle. She understands I cultivate stories and her green thumb gives us food and pleasure.

The comely Mrs. H is my angel and takes care of me and I her, but I don't do field work. Oh, my sixteen year old daughter rides the lawnmower--she loves it!

Rie McGaha said...

It is springtime here in SE OK, and has been for several weeks now. We have very short, mild winters, spring comes early and fall doesn't begin til November. And we usually have a garden but I don't know about this year because of the fire last June and everything has been screwed up since. But the daffodils, iris, redbud and dogwood are in bloom and that makes me feel better.

Adele Dubois said...

I love flowers, beautiful landscaping, and the tall oak trees in our yard--as long as I don't have to tend them. I'm better suited to indoor activities, like writing. ")

Happy Spring!

Best--Adele

Tina Donahue said...

In Palm Springs where I live, spring came and went, then summer came and now it's winter again. Yes, we are having some very weird weather here. 100 degrees one day and 50 degrees the next.