Home

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Recurring Characters by Stephanie Julian

I'm working on the fifth book in the Lucani Lovers (title TBD) series at the moment and I just finished revisions on the second book in the Forgotten Goddesses series, HOW TO WORSHIP A GODDESS (Dec. 2011, Sourcebooks). Both series take place in my Etruscan Magic world, as does my Magical Seduction series. That makes for a lot of characters who live and love in my imaginary playground.

I love revisiting characters, especially my favorites. I have several and I'm always thrilled when I'm able to bring them into the story I'm working on. So in addition to falling in love with a new hero, I get to spend some time with a previous hunk.

Kyle Rossini is one of those favorites. He's shown up in every lucani book I've written and will also have a role in HOW TO WORSHIP A GODDESS. Kyle is my idea of a real man. He's strong, he's smart, and he loves his mate, Tam, with a quiet intensity that's so freaking hot. Kyle was one of those characters that came to me fully realized.

Cam de Feo was the same. He's self-confident, capable and the guy can work magic. Again, hot enough to scorch your fingers. Then there are those ears. Very cool.

And Sal, well, Sal's just different. He's a salbinelli, an Etruscan satyr, with the upper body of a man and the lower body of a goat. Yes, he looks like Pan but people don't mention that to his face. He tends to give them tails if they do. Sal's always there to lend a helping hand, whether it's to the lucani, the Forgotten Goddesses or the fata, the Etruscan fairy races. He's been a pivotal character in several stories but he'll get his HEA soon enough.

If you think it's all about the guys, then you've not met Nortia, Etruscan Goddess of Fate. I have so much fun with Nortia. She's such a smart ass. She says what she wants and doesn't give a shit what anyone else thinks. Of course, the fall from such lofty heights can be far so Norty better watch her back. And her heart.

And finally, there's Cat. Cat is the daughter I'll never have, since both of my real children are boys, soon to be young men. She's almost too perfect, isn't she? Sweet-natured, loving, beautiful, smart. Strong. She's going to need that strength because life has a way of throwing curve balls at you. And even if you're expecting them, sometimes they don't curve the way you think they might.

All of my favorite series, like the Black Dagger Brotherhood, the Psy-Changeling series, The Breeds, have created a community where the characters we're fallen in love with over the course of three or five or seven books come back and are an integral part of the larger story being told.

That's what I'm striving for.

So what are some of your favorite series and recurring characters?

8 comments:

Sarah J. McNeal said...

I love it when I recognise a character in a new story that I met in a previous book. I especially like family stories where I get to read about the brothers and sisters as they fall in love and marry while still keeping in touch with the other siblings as they go on to build families.
Wonderful Blog, Stephanie.

Delaney Diamond said...

Generally, I'll follow a short series. Carole Mortimer's The Sicilians series is good. It's a Harlequin Presents series and there are 3 books.

I also like Tracy Ann Warren's historical series about the Byrons of Braebourne. I haven't read them all yet, but the two I've read so far are good. I believe there are about 5 books in the series.

Anonymous said...

Stephanie
Love the blog post My favorite author series is Lynsay Sands Argeneau & Argeneau/Rogue series. Lynsy writes with her own style of humor. The 14 & soon to be 15 book series is about this vampire family and their main family business is Blood Banks and blood research. The main theme of each book is how each member finds their life mate. One of the main reoccuring characters is Aunt Marguerite, who is well known for her matchmaking abilities. IMHO she has one of the best vampire series. if you'd like to start at the series beginning, then start with "A Quick Bite", then "Love Bites" "Single White Vampire","Tall Dark, & Hungry" and "A Bite To Remember". There are 10 more in the series and I've read and enjoyed each one more than once.

I also have a series, ii's about a town and the people who live there. The first story (which has been published) is about a young female Vampire. I have 5 more stories in this series I'm currently working on. One reoccuring character is Earl Jr., the owner of Earl's. It is a cafe, a bar, and a dance hall. It's food and music have been around this town for decades. Earl Jr., his cafe, and his wife are in at least 3 more books and I'm thinking of giving Earl Jr. his own book. This type of series lends itself to reoccuring characters and they help mke the story more believable.
Thanks for this great topic, Stephanie.
G W Pickle

Adele Dubois said...

You did a wonderful job explaining your characters, Steph. Best of luck with your duel series!

Redameter said...

I like series characters. Wrote one call the Travers Brothers series, a family of four modern cowboys. Enjoyed it, but don't relish series that hang on forever and never end. I know one fantasy writer that has like twenty five or so and I think that is way over-board.

But series are fun to read.

Love and blessings
Rita

Michael said...

great blog Stephanie!

I love recurring characters, Very cliche but I love the Anne Rice vampires. I need to get into Black Dagger. I've heard so many great things about it.

:)

My own? My series in African Sun coming son, My doctors, Alex Carthington and his dad. My gals Rhoda, Sakina, and Veranda. :)

Lovely post. Good luck with your series!

Fiona McGier said...

As a reader I like to see characters I enjoyed in previous books, still enjoying their HEA in other books. As an author, some characters I love so much I continue to listen to them long after they have told me their story!
Thanks for talking about this interesting subject.

Tina Donahue said...

I love quiet intensity in a man. That to me is a real Alpha.

I haven't read many series lately. I should, I know, but I'm so busy with my EDJ, writing as my second fulltime job and just trying to get through the day, I haven't had the time. :(