Home

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

6 Things I Do I Know I Shouldn't


Since you probably already know I’m a foodie, is it any surprise that three of the six things involve food?

Before I begin, remember, “Judge not, lest ye be judged” and “Those without sin cast the first stone.” Now that’s out of the way, below are things I do I know I shouldn't.

Procrastinate. My motto: Don’t do today what you can put off until tomorrow. I like to think I produce my best work under pressure.

Eat red links. Red links are a red-casing enclosed “product” that has the same consistency of a hot dog, but it’s thicker and spicy. I believe this is a Southern delicacy, because I’ve never seen them anywhere else but in the South.

For all my righteous indignation about eating organic and all natural foods, I occasionally eat this mixture of God-knows-what and enjoy every bit of it going down. Whenever I get a craving, I take a red link (or two) and place them in the toaster oven on 375 degrees for 12-15 minutes. They come out a little charred, as if they’ve been grilled. I smother on some spicy mustard, and they’re oh so good.

Eat half a bag of cheese puffs—in one sitting. I’m not proud of this. Michael Season’s baked cheddar cheese puffs and the baked cheddar cheese curls are addictive. I’m not kidding. I tell myself they’re all natural. The bag says, “…no preservatives, no artificial colors or flavors.” Yet, deep down, I know those words don’t justify consuming that much of any snack in a single sitting.

I’m fairly certain, but I can’t prove, that they’re laced with some type of drug. Heroine, perhaps? Whatever it is, it’s highly addictive, which explains why I can’t stop at just a handful. I think the FDA should investigate. Until then, I’m looking for a 12-step program to wean myself off this crunchy, cheesy snack.

Eat raw cake batter. Yes, I know about the potential for salmonella poisoning (refer to the title of this post). I’ve been doing this for years, and I haven’t had a problem yet. My favorite batter flavor is chocolate. Just thinking about it makes me want to whip up a chocolate cake so I can lick the spoon clean.

Buy more books. This may be a sickness, but I happen to know I’m not the only one with the disease of buying books even when I haven’t read the ones I’ve already purchased. I need another bookshelf because I have books piled on the floor, and my computer is full of downloaded books I have to read that I haven’t even opened. Despite acknowledging all this, why do I have six books in my Amazon cart right now?

Drive the car without warming it up in cold weather. Turns out I was right to do this all along. Ha! Your car warms up faster if you drive it, and you’re polluting the air by letting your vehicle sit and idle. Don’t believe me? Go to these links and read the articles from informed experts.

· Warm Your Toes, Warm Up Pie, But Don't Warm Up Your Engine

· Mother Earth News

Okay, that’s my list. Now, be honest—you’re among friends. What do you do you know you shouldn’t?

***********

In my February short story, Subordinate Position, CFO Danica Parker fights the urge to do something she knows she shouldn’t: get involved with someone on her staff. Marco Reyes is a man on a mission, and his mission is to charm the dress off his boss. Read the blurb and excerpt at http://delaneydiamond.com/books/.

***********

Delaney Diamond writes sensual and sweet romance. The Arrangement is her debut release, available now from Amira Press. Read Chapter One on the Books page at www.delaneydiamond.com. Subscribe to her blog or join her and the other romance lovers on her Facebook fan page.

22 comments:

Tina Donahue said...

I'm addicted to chocolate and Mexican food. Can eat dark chocolate and taco chips w/hot sauce all freaking day. Or at least until I get green enough to barf. I'm a 'House' addict. Have been known to spend an entire weekend not moving from the sofa (except to take trips to the bathroom or fridge) while I watch rerun after rerun. As to raw cake batter. Nope, have never done it and probably never will. I'm always amazed at friends who say it's so good. Tried it once, didn't like it. Great post, Delaney!

Rawiya said...

Great post Delaney.

Hmm, all the applies to me. My addiction is Coca Cola! EEk, its a bad one.

I did stop when I was pregnant but after that, right back to it.

Your books sounds really good. I will be buying a copy! :)

Sarah J. McNeal said...

Delaney, you are a trip--one I want to take. LOL I love the crinkly cheese puffs and can't seem to stop once I start them.
I saw recently that cars don't have to be warmed up when they're cold--good thing because it's illegal here to leave an unattended car running even in your own driveway.
Raw cookie dough is my downfall--love it. I'll probably get Salmomila and croak.
Great blog, Delaney.

Joyce said...

Love your post Delaney,

My addiction is cheese, any kind of cheese with the exception of goats cheese (not so strange since I am from a cheesy country). Together with a nice glass of wine I am one happy lady.

Your books sound nice and I will have a look to see which one tickles my fancy.

Keep up the good work!

Delaney Diamond said...

Ooh, Tina, I so enjoy dark chocolate. Luckily, it's been proven to be good for you! Me and cake batter go way back--to when I was a kid, and my mother used to let us lick the spoon and "clean" the bowl when she made cakes. Ah, the good old days, when I was too young to realize all the risks I was taking...Lol.

Delaney Diamond said...

Rawiya, here in Atlanta, I'm in Coca-Cola country, but in all honesty, I've never been one to drink much soda. Every blue moon I'll have a cherry coke, and I like root beer too.

Thanks for the comment about my book. I hope you enjoy reading it.

Delaney Diamond said...

Thanks, Sarah (*blushing*).

You're a fellow cheese puff addict! Aren't they the best? As for salmonella poisoning, I hope neither of us gets it--even a mild form--and can continue to eat raw dough well into our old age. :)

Delaney Diamond said...

Joyce, I like all kinds of cheeses too. Especially sharp-flavored ones like goat, blue, and gouda. My family loves my lamb chops with blue cheese sauce.

If you enjoy sexual tension and romance that makes you go "aww," you'll enjoy my books. Thanks so much for stopping by!

Anonymous said...

I'm addicted to a lot of bad things:(....I love
Red Hot Riplets and will eat them till I cry....
I love Cheetos...I now they are bad for me...I'm a carbaholic- chocolate cake, brownies, cookies...bring them...I will eat them...lol...I also like White Castle ....and who knows what's really in them...but my motto is "I'll just have one" ...but of course I get 4 of the little burgers and gorge myself...lol

Maria D.

Delaney Diamond said...

Maria, all the fun things in life are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. That quote has been attributed to P.G. Wodehouse, and ain't it the truth.

Mmm...White Castle...in Georgia we have Krystal burgers, which are similar. I understand your dilemma. There is NO way I could eat just one. But hey, they're pretty small, so is it really that bad if you eat four...?

Fiona McGier said...

Hey Delaney, great post! Me? I think of all of the vices I've given up since I "matured" (read: got old, got boring, can't keep up the pace anymore, etc.), and since I no longer do any illegal substances or smoke anything, I allow myself to have that one drink of alcohol a day that is supposed to be good for women. Okay, some days I'm too busy and too tired to have any, but I figure that gives me "permission" to have more than one on a Saturday night, to celebrate not having to work either job on Sunday!
But it's a family-kind of thing. One of my uncles was told years ago after his first heart attack, that he could only have 1 bottle of beer a day. He searched out and found a local brewery that sold gallon bottles! Another was told the 1 drink-a-day thing after his heart attack...for my high school graduation party he walked in carrying 3 bottle of his favorite sherry. I asked him why, when he could only have 1 drink a day. He laughed and told me he'd been "saving up" for weeks to celebrate with me, and I should shut up and find him a glass!

Delaney Diamond said...

Fiona, I suspect your colorful life has been filled with things you've done you know you shouldn't. Stop writing fiction and write your memoir!

Thanks for stopping by!

Redameter said...

Gonna try this one more time today. It hasn't been letting me sing in maybe because I changed a password. But still.

I have one sonic coke a day and a Hershey. I really feel deprived if I don't get it too, especailly the coke. I know they are way bad for you but I compensate, I drink water the rest of the day. And chocolate can't be bad for you. Or I'd be dead. I have no man in my life any more, so I substitute chocolate. So sue me.lol

Love and blessings
Rita

She said...

Well, Delaney, join the club. We all have things we shouldn't do but life would be so boring if we didn't do these things. Let's face it, these things get us through the day so often. My list includes:
1. Chocolate
2. Coca-cola
3. Books
4. Celtic Thunder (keeps me calm when I'm listening to them, even better to watch them ;)
5. Double quarter pounder
6. Potato chips (but I buy Lay's natural ones)
7. Bachman's jax (like cheese curls)
8. Macy's thumbprint cookies
9. Prantl's hamenstachen cookies
10. Mancini's rustic Italian bread (hot from the oven smothered in butter)

OK, I'd better quit before I run out to the stores and pick up all my addictions and find a few more.

Delaney Diamond said...

Rita, a coke a day, an apple a day--potayto/potahto. I do believe that chocolate is one of the universally accepted substitutes for men, so you're good. No one's going to sue you.

Delaney Diamond said...

She, you're right. I could munch on boring celery sticks or choose yummy Lay's natural potato chips (natural means we can eat more, right?). That's a no-brainer.

Thanks for posting your list of 10. It makes my list of 6 not look so bad. Heh-heh.

Renee Vincent said...

Hey Delaney! Great Post!
So let's see....kind of like you, I eat raw cookie dough - chocolate chip cookie dough - and it's probably more than I should. But daggonit, it's so darn good!
And then there's staying up til wee hours of the night to try to get caught up only to wake up the next morning, and realize I am STILL not caught up yet.

Ok, enough about me....love the cover and title of your book darlin! That is one hot book!

Delaney Diamond said...

Hi Renee! If I'm up til the wee hours of the morning working, it's because, unfortunately, I've been procrastinating and I'm out of time. Thanks for the kind words about my book.

James L. Hatch said...

Okay, I'd swear you've been peeking in my kitchen window except for one thing -- you left off eating half a family-sized pizza in one sitting, and the beer to wash it down with! Loved the post.

Molly Daniels said...

I'm with you on the cake batter! I have a chocolate cake recipe I used to cut down and eat the whole thing. And lived to tell the tale, lol:) If the batter's good, you know the cake will be too, right?

I'm also a sucker for raw cookie dough, esp chocolate chip.

Fig Newtons: Can't just stop with one or two; no, gotta eat the entire package, or at least half a package. Same goes for Girl Scout Thin Mints.

Chex Mix: Who can honestly stop with a handful or two? I eat it by the bowl:)

Delaney Diamond said...

Thanks, James. LOL. I'm starting to see a trend here. It seems most people have problems with food and doing things they know they shouldn't with it.

Delaney Diamond said...

Molly, you're so right about the taste of the batter playing a vital role in signaling if the cake will be good. I've been testing cake batter since I was a kid, and I've lived to tell the tale. :)

Thanks for stopping back by and sharing things you do you know you shouldn't.