Home

Thursday, February 17, 2011

My Waltz in Vienna by Andrew Grey

One of the things that I love most about being an author is the opportunity to write about things that I’m not actually able to do. For example, I can’t dance. I have two left feet as well as two right arms and everything decides to go in different directions at the same time. Needless to say I look like some demented, flailing crane on the dance floor, so it’s something I rarely do no matter the occasion. (And only with plenty of alcoholic reinforcement that I always regret) So when I wrote Accompanied by a Waltz, I got to do something through my characters that I would seriously love to be able to do in real life, a grand waltz in Vienna.
My partner and I had the opportunity to visit Vienna a number of years ago and I fell in love with the city. To make things even more special, we visited one of the city parks and that evening a small orchestra had set up and ordinary people were dancing beneath the trees and under the stars, it was magical, romantic, and so damned frustrating because I wished for nothing more to join them. However if I had, I would have undoubtedly scarred everyone for life. So instead we sat on a bench nearby, watching and listening, swaying to the music.
As I was writing Accompanied by a Waltz, I needed a scene ripe for romance and that evening came to mind. However in my story, my characters aren’t sitting and listening, they get to do what I couldn’t, waltz together beneath trees and under a starlit sky to Strauss’s Blue Danube and Tales from the Vienna Wood. Closing my eyes as I wrote the scene I could almost feel the sway of the dancers and hear the swells of the music. My feet began to move, my body swayed, and for a brief second, I got my wish.

You can find Accompanied by a Waltz and my other titles at Dreamspinner Press

To learn more you can find me at:
My web site: http://www.andrewgreybooks.com/
Blog: http://andrewgreybooks.livejournal.com/
I'm also andrewgreybooks on twitter
And you can find me on Facebook or email me at andrewgrey@comcast.net

9 comments:

Tina Donahue said...

You've been to Vienna - how lucky for you, Andrew. I'd love to visit Europe.

Sarah J. McNeal said...

I relived that moment with you about Vienna, an orchestra playing beneath the stars and romance in the air. Beautiful memories last a lifetime. Loved your post, Andrew.

Redameter said...

Andrew I'm a lady and I can't dance either, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying watching Gene Kelley on tv. Yeah, writing does allow the freedom to do many things we can't.

At least you have the beautiful memory of it all, and you've been there. That's something a lot of us haven't enjoyed.

Great post

Love and blessings
RIta

Paris said...

Vienna sounds lovely and I really enjoyed your post! Isn't it wonderful that through fiction we can manage what we ordinarily wouldn't do:)

Fiona McGier said...

Have any of you seen that u-tube video of a 92-year-old Ginger Rogers dancing with her 29-year-old grandson? She's phenomenal!
And you are right, Andrew...being an author allows you to put yourself in any situation you want to be in, and live that life. It's fun!

Rawiya said...

Vienna sound slovely.

I'm looking forward to reading the book.

Andrew Grey said...

Thank you to all you especially Sweet Divas for your wonderfully encouraging comments. I really appreciate them. Vienna is a beautiful city. I highly recommend it especially with someone you love.

Carol L. said...

Hi Andrew,
I just want to say I loved your Satyr series. And your new book sounds very romantic and intriguing. It's on my TRL.
Carol L
Lucky4750@aol.com

Andrew Grey said...

Thanks Carol. I'm so glad you like the satyrs. They hold a special place in my heart. Especially since the bronze that inspired Cembran stands in my dining room.

Andrew