Home

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Does Snow Inspire You?

Over the past week we've had a record breaking amount of snow here in Texas. Of course it doesn't take much to make a record of snow in Texas, as most of you know. But as I stared out into the white wilderness this fluffy stuff created, I had to ask myself. Does this inspire me to write? And is it a good inspiration or bad? The answer might surprise you.





Snow is white, and white as far as color goes, is sort of non-descript. In other words just the color is bland. However, if it had snowed before Christmas all sorts of excitement might have been induced. A white Christmas in Texas is something to behold, does not happen very often. I know I'm sixty-four years old and I've had a few Christmases here. When it does snow at Christmas a conversation piece. And to tell the truth I'm not sure why, it is the same no matter what time of year. But at Christmas the kids get so excited if even a drift of snow happens by.

Therefore, I would have to say that to be inspired by snow in Texas at least, it has to come around Christmas time, when we're making cookies and all kinds of goodies for the company we will have. Who minds being cooped up in the house when someone is making cookies?

This year we had a record breaking 5" in the DFW metroplex. That is cause for some excitement in itself. Usually when we get it, it quickly turns to brown slush and freezes over into something creepy like black ice. So to get 5" all at once is something for us. And the kids do go wild. Down here, you won't find the kind of toys for snow you will find up north. No, kids get a hold of cardboard and make their own toys. And do they every have fun. Garbage can lids, old swing seat, anything that will slide will do.

So getting back to my main question, does snow inspire you? As a writer, it can, but I truly think that this comes from sweating out a few summers here in Texas and dreaming of a snow filled night around the fireplace. Now that is romantic.

I wrote a book called Heart of the Wild, available now at Smashwords.com, where the hero kidnaps the heroine and takes her to his cabin in the wilds of the Cascade Mountains of Oregon. A blizzard traps these two in the cabin and they are faced with their secret feelings for one another. Just the fact that they can't go very far makes it difficult for them to get along. So in this case snow did inspire me, and yes, I did write it in the middle of summer. So I would say that snow does inspire, but having the real McCoy makes it less romantic and more of a hassle. The thought of snow is what inspires. You think about Christmas, you think about cozy fires, so my answer is yes, it does inspire, but since we had a week of snow and ice I don't know about you, but I am truly ready for the good ole sunshine how about you!

Take a gander at Heart of the Wild.







Buy link for this one is : http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/8656

15 comments:

Marie Rose Dufour said...

Living in Rhode Island, the thought of snow is anything but inspiring. If I could live the rest of my life without seeing the stuff, I would be happy. Then again, if some sexy man and I were trapped in a beautiful cabin with nothing to do (ahem!), I might like it better. Bring on the Spring.

Tina Donahue said...

Heart of the Wild sounds yummy, Rita. :)

Delaney Diamond said...

Sounds like an interesting read, Rita.

By the way, I love the snow. We don't get it much here in Atlanta. The city shut down in January, but I was happy even though I was cooped up in the house. The air always seems quieter when there's a blanket of snow everywhere.

Periodic snow is fine, but I couldn't live up north and live through what other people experience every winter.

Paris said...

Snowy days inspire me to curl up with a good book and a cup of something warm. Your book sounds like a great snow day activity:)

Rawiya said...

I'm sorry I hate snow...

:) Your book sounds like a great read.

Much success though

Redameter said...

Paris, yes, I think snow days are for readers, not writers. Rawiya, I'm not that fond of snow myself. Of course I complain in the heat too, so go figure.

Delaney we don't get much in Texas either, but I sure wouldn't want a steady diet of it. Things get too still, too enclosed. But now to read, it's perfect.

Sarah J. McNeal said...

Yes. sometimes I am inspired by snow. I was in Washington DC in college when a huge snow storm came through. It was so beautiful and quiet--nothing like DC usually is. A friend and I happen to meet up and have lunch and it was such a memorable time that I wrote a short story sbout it.
Heart of the Wild looks fantastic and I must read it.

Cynthia Arsuaga said...

Hey Rita,
Snow inspires to the point of wanting to leave it and the cold behind in Virginia and move south to Florida. I've lived in Boston when walking to school in it up to my knees, drove in it skidding on the roads taking two hours to get home when the drive should have been twenty minutes. Yea, snow has inspired me. LOL, it's pretty to look at, but I don't want to live with the white stuff anymore, maybe write about only.

Redameter said...

Sarah I can almost picture that. Just the way you wrote it, made me conjure a image in my head.

Cynthia, I agree, snow is something we would rather dream about than live with. It is romantic to think of lovers snowbound, but it isn't to go shovel snow out of the drive for an hour.

So out with the snow for now and maybe by next year we'll be dreaming of it again. But for now, we've all had our fill. LOL Except maybe Sarah, the romantic!

Hales said...

I get more work done when it snows cuz I'm stuck inside. But knowing that black ice follows the snow fall here causes me more worry, worry for loss of net, worry that my kids are walking two blocks home from school, worry that my man might wreck coming home. So I am ready for summer. Tornados I can deal with frigid weather and intermittant winter weather issues I can't.

Redameter said...

Hales, I feel the same. I think of car wrecks the minute I hear it might snow or ice over. Of course it turns to ice here in Texas most of the time. This time we had ice first, then snow over it. But yeah, accidents are a real and major worry and expense. I think when it's dangerous they should just shut things down.

Anne Patrick said...

I don't care much for snow, but I do get more work done when it does snow so I guess that's a good thing. It doesn't take much to inspire me to write. I always have wild ideas rumbling around in my head. Heart of the Wild sounds like a great read, Rita. Best of luck with it and all your writing endeavors!

Redameter said...

Hi Anne, good to see you. Yeah, I just don't think snow is what a writer needs to inspire. At least not this writer.

To each his own though.

Thanks for coming by everyone, I apreciate seeing you.

Love and blessings
Rita

Renee Vincent said...

Yes, Rita, I am so ready for the warm sunshine, but I'll admit, the "thought" of snow is very romantic. I love the thought of curling up under a blanket with a hunky hero and lots of body heat.

Your book sounds like a great read....love when a H/H are trapped somewhere together and they have no choice but to interact with each other.

Great post!

Fiona McGier said...

Snow is fun when you don't have to go anywhere. When you still have to go to work, or drive long distances, then not so much. Interesting post and book.